• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 3770 Idle Temps

Associate
I'm wondering about my idle temps on my CPU. My CPU Idle times at the moment are 44-47 at 5-8% CPU load, now i know this shouldn't be like that.

I'm using a Corsair H55 liquid cooler, and have the radiator fan as an intake fan.

I have 2 other 120mm front fans being intakes along side the cooler, 1 back 120mm fan as exhaust and two top 120mm fans as exhausts too.

I have a Mid tower with an ATX board, all wire management is done brilliantly there is plenty of room in the case, so i have no idea why the idle temps are so high.

100% Load temps using Aida64 go to around 85c after around 45mins-1hr.

Things I've tried so far;

- Changing thermal paste x2 times
- Swapping fan set ups

Things i want to rule out;

- Liquid cooler not working correctly?
- CPU is doing what it should be doing

Soldato
have you got the cpu voltage set manually or on auto, if its auto what sort of voltage is it getting ?

is the cooler seated properly on the cpu ?, also if you leave the side off the case does it make any difference to the temps, if the case cooling etc is working properly it shouldnt.

Associate
I had a faulty H100
And the pump gave up
The thing was heating up and the CPU get as hot as 90 degrees
Sounds silly but check if the tubing is hot while stress testing
And you will find out if you have no water flow

Associate
OP
Tubes are cool.

One observation i've noticed though in core temps, my Core #0 is always at 15% or more, it literally never drops below 15%. My other 3 cores are all around 3%-5% at idle.

Is that normal behaviour?

Soldato
Depends on what software you have running in the background.

Is the H55's pump connected directly to the PSU? Is the CPU downclocking properly as well as the CPU volts?

Your load temps are higher than mine considering I have an overclocked 2600K, with a H40 cooler running as exhaust (peaks at around 75c from long Handbrake sessions).

Soldato
i've had cpu's that have varied slightly in temps maybe 3-4 degrees, but that much would suggest maybe the cooler isn't seated properly or the lid on that thing is a fair bit uneven.

what do you normally use the computer for and what do temps look like as you use it day to day ?

Associate
Is your CPU at idle? I just picked up a used 3770k overclocked it to 4.6ghz @ 1.28 volts, 20c in room, Core 0 jumps about randomly too compared to the others, My idle currently seems to be between 36-39-45 jumping, 3% cpu load, Max temp @ 100 load is 82c in prime 95.

Back
Top Bottom