i7 4790k hitting 90+ degrees under load

Permabanned
i7-4790k runs hot, even with the latest AIO water or air coolers there is virtually no headroom for overclocking as the temps will shoot up quite dramatically even with small increases in voltage.

I would have thought a H60 would be able to handle it at stock but then again all I have to compare it to performance wise is a NH-D15 and a H100i, it's quite possible a H60 just can't handle this CPU at load.

Soldato
i7-4790k runs hot, even with the latest AIO water or air coolers there is virtually no headroom for overclocking as the temps will shoot up quite dramatically even with small increases in voltage.

I would have thought a H60 would be able to handle it at stock but then again all I have to compare it to performance wise is a NH-D15 and a H100i, it's quite possible a H60 just can't handle this CPU at load.

H60 cooler
4790k at stock

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h60_review,9.html

Associate
There should be no reason at stock for it to be so hot. My H80i V2 while far bigger kept a dog of a 4770k (read eats volts and doesn't of past 4.0 even at 1.35) at sub 55 with a Uber low fan rpm. And it was below 80 with a 90mm cooler master air cooler

Soldato
When you say "under load" is that while you are using it or are you running synthetic benchmarks? If the AVX is being utilised then it causes voltage spikes which in turn cause those sort of temps.

Associate
OP
I was using Intel burn test.

I've worked out that it must have been my motherboard giving it to much juice. I put the 4790k into my son's MSI Z97 Pc Mate mobo, and cooled it with a Coolermaster Seidon 120V V2. It didn't go above 70c at load again using Intel Burn Test.
I also put his 4690k into my PC and it doesn't go above 61c at load, so I know for sure that the pump is fine. I just got a Asus Maximus Ranger VII donated to me for free of another forum, so I'm going to try the i7 in that when I get a new cooler.

Soldato
IBT Is notorious for causing overvolting regardless of platform. Like you said though it looks like it may have been a mobo issue. Maybe update the bios or see if you can manually dial back the load voltage.

Associate
Its overvolting on the Gigabyte board on auto settings, just dial it back manually and you should be fine (I have a GA-Z87X-UD3H so I set the voltage manually) ... you don't need to change the motherboard unless you really want ;)

Soldato
My Auto settings had a habbit of giving too much juice also, when I first got my chip it was going way into the 80s on stock settings with custom OTT water cooling. I was always gonna delid mine though so I didn't really mind. Be careful after a failed overclock, sometimes it sets voltage back to auto but not clock speeds resulting in 1.5+ volts, I think ive had a fair few years knocked off my chip cause of that bug.

Associate
OP
Ok so I upgraded to a Corsair H115i AIO, and also receieved a free Maximus Ranger VII. The board had a few bent pins that I attempted to straighten, but the board won't post at all. the only thing that happens is the start button flashes on and off.

I gave up attempting to get it to post, and went back to the gigabyte gaming 3 motherboard. Since setting that up the temps are much, much lower. temps are Idling at around 32c. the max core temp during stress test was 75c

The Vcore is still going upto a maximum of 1.248v

Associate
Have you got it configured as an intake or outtake? If it is an outtake then you are effectively heating the CPU with the graphics card. By changing it round so that the AIO is an intake you should drop about ten degrees off your CPU. Don't worry about your graphics card it will compensate and you may notice a little more noise but provided your case fans are good then really there shouldn't be much in the way of detrimental effects.

Associate
OP
Have you got it configured as an intake or outtake? If it is an outtake then you are effectively heating the CPU with the graphics card. By changing it round so that the AIO is an intake you should drop about ten degrees off your CPU. Don't worry about your graphics card it will compensate and you may notice a little more noise but provided your case fans are good then really there shouldn't be much in the way of detrimental effects.

I have the fans as in intake. they're inside the case, pulling air through the radiator.
The stock fans are loud as hell as well. I've been thinking of switching them out for a couple of HD140's. would this be a good option?

Associate
I have the fans as in intake. they're inside the case, pulling air through the radiator.
The stock fans are loud as hell as well. I've been thinking of switching them out for a couple of HD140's. would this be a good option?

Well, you have them configured the best way then, and I am surprised you are having issues. The 4790K does run hot and it is renown for getting very hot when you increase the voltage. In passing I know that intel wrote a piece on these overheating and it was largely down to motherboards adopting high voltages. Gigabyte were very bad in particular. If you search for Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and look for things about your motherboard you may find something. Think is the 4790K doesn't have a lot of headroom and increasing the voltage even by a small amount does get them very hot indeed.

I have never used the HD140 but I have used the ML140 PRO fans and they are excellent. I used them on an Corsair AIO and not only did the cooling performance increase but, they were very significantly quieter too.

Man of Honour
The problem with the 4790k is the crap paste that Intel used, end of. Of course Intel would lay the blame on motherboards over volting because they are not going to turn around and admit that they made a big mistake in cheaping out with the thermal paste. Also 1.248v is not high at all so I very much doubt that vcore is the problem. My bet is that Intel's thermal paste has dried up and no longer does the job. That was what happened to my 4790k and a delid knocked a whopping 25 degrees off load temps. I rekon that is the path you are going to have to take to get the temps under control.

Back
Top Bottom