• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-5820k Questions

Soldato
Wouldn't buy a Coffelake quad core or a DX11 card. Or a 1080p monitor.

That's funny as you were in the thread last week with the rest of us waiting for the binned 8700k's to go live sounding very much like you where waiting to get a nice binned one for yourself, now you've decided not to for whatever your reason, it's a gash chip! Get ya coat off you go....

Probably a bit too early but anything special so far?
Any gems?
My bots will have the order checked out before your finger lifts from the keyboard.

Don
Who even uses rtm lol

Plenty of people fed up listening to you two bicker across the CPU subforum

are we 12 years old in here?

Seems like it

You do according to the mod messages I've had. Apparently they're fed up of you reporting people. You got the message too apparently...

Yep, I'm fed up of the pair of you

EDIT:
Honestly - can you two just stick each other on ignore and get on with your lives

Man of Honour
Have you tried 144hz or above?
It really is something you need to try.
A lot of people discredit it without trying it.

This looks to be a good monitor http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/acer-delays-predator-x27-4k-hdr-gsync-monitor-to-next-year.html

I've started to prefer ULMB over Gsync lately.

Though driving that will take a lot of GPU power.

I run two 4k systems as to be honest gaming comes second to my other uses and for those I need the real estate. Main system is 1950x/vega/64gb ddr4 alongside a 4k panel. Laptop is i7, 32gb ddr4, gtx970 6gb and also a 4k panel. I did have a go on a mates 1440 and its a decent experience but for me that comes secondary to productivity.

As for the op, I would be tempted to hold out longer. Perhaps skip another gen and see what the new year brings. The 5820k is certainly no slouch and should still be a very capable cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So after a series of testing i was able to get the following.
4.7 @ 1.36v at 62 C
4.6 @ 1.275v at 55 C

Keep in mind that these are "real world" testing by doing the usual things day to day and is rock stable. If i stress test it, 4.6 requires 1.31v and 4.7 instantly bsods at 1.4v when i stress test it. Also to note, it only goes up to those numbers when i game which is around 3-4 hours at most per day. The rest of the day it idles around 25 C ~ 1.2 ghz @ 0.76v. Which one should i run 24.7?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I used intel XTU.

As for an upgrade, im guessing the most cost effective choice would be to wait until the prices of 5960x/6900k/6950x to drop and pick one up to extend the life of my current setup.

Associate
Be cautious waiting for prices to drop, as they become rarer top tier cpu's tend to go up in value not down, right now you can sell a 5820k for around £200 and buy a 5960x for around £380, just make sure you pick up a retail chip that checks out on the Intel warranty site - https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo . Intel don't ask for proof of purchase.

Associate
OP
Is there much of a difference between the 5820k and 5960x? (Aside from an extra 2C/4T) Wouldn't broadwell-e(6900k/6950x) be a better upgrade with the node shrink/IPC improvement?

Associate
Is there much of a difference between the 5820k and 5960x? (Aside from an extra 2C/4T) Wouldn't broadwell-e(6900k/6950x) be a better upgrade with the node shrink/IPC improvement?

With the 5960x you get an extra 4 threads , you get 40 pcie lanes vs 28 and a larger cache and they tend to be slightly better silicon than their lower binned cousins.

Broadwell-e whilst on a smaller node doesn't overclock as well as haswell-e. Its very power efficient at stock speeds but not overclocked and runs way hotter than haswell.

Just be aware that because of its limited production the vast majority of chips are not very good clockers, i've had a few that struggled to hit 4.0 and couldn't handle memory over 2666. I'm not saying that any haswell chip you get is going to be a great clocker but you'll have a much better chance of a good one.

Soldato
Seems like a good summary. Wish those graphs included older cpu for reference. So with a Broadwell 6800k overclocked vs 5820k in real world use theres not a great advantage I take it. I only have a 120mm AIO cpu cooler and thought 14nm might be cooler, easier to handle. I read 5820k listed with max temp of 67c but hopefully its not limited that low

Associate
I used intel XTU.

As for an upgrade, im guessing the most cost effective choice would be to wait until the prices of 5960x/6900k/6950x to drop and pick one up to extend the life of my current setup.

Unless you are doing some video editing etc. there isn't much difference between a 5820K vs 6900K when it comes to gaming and lighter productivity workloads, and Broadwell-E overclocked is a hot chip no doubt about that.
I did the change from a [email protected] to a [email protected] last tuesday, and it's primarily when it run through premiere pro I see the advantages.
If you need the extra threads and cores I'd highly recommend going after a 5960x instead.

Soldato
Just found one use case where a better IPC than my 5820K would benefit and that's running the CEMU Wii U emulator. Needs as much speed on a single core it appears and on certain titles 4.25 GHz is not quite enough to sustain 30fps so the emulator limits to 20 fps. So a modern 5.0 GHz capable CPU would definitely help here at least.

Associate
Theres also IPC improvements as well. A [email protected] is roughly on par with a 5960x@5Ghz. Price also plays a big factor, currently the 6900k is double the price of a 5960x.

Yup and but also worth noticing is that many 6900Ks max out at 4.3GHz and won't go over even if you increase the voltage. The 6900K is very efficient at normal clocks compared to 5960x, but once you start overclocking the 6900K this goes down the drain very fast :D

Associate
Theres also IPC improvements as well. A [email protected] is roughly on par with a 5960x@5Ghz..

Don't take offence but where did you get this info from ? Because i think i know and it's totally false and based on people desperately trying to justify their broadwell-e purchases at launch time. 8-pack and many other benchers found that clock for clock they were much closer than that with a typical 5960x clocked at 4.6 beating out a 6900k at 4.3, whilst that in itself is not insignificant you'll be hard pressed to consistently find broadwell-e cpu's that will reliably hit anything over 4.2 with 24/7 stability and reasonable temps.

Back
Top Bottom