• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 5820K upgrade to i7 14700K or wait?

Associate
I've been on my 5820k since 2016 so feeling it's time for an upgrade! I don't game but I am going to need a faster setup for content creation (mainly Premiere Pro). A 14700K would be a huge increase in speed but I'm put off by the following:
- complaints about heat and power consumption
- only incremental improvements over previous generations
- limited number of boards with Gen 5 M.2 support

My question is, would I better of waiting a few months? I could wait up to 6 months ok. Thanks!

EDIT: I have a Noctua DH-15 cooler already so will use that with a new adapter plate.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Double the single core performance and over 5x the multi core. You could wait, but then you'll end up waiting for the next thing.

Buy now enjoy a huge performance boost :)
True. I was looking to upgrade a while ago but DDR5 was just coming out and was very expensive with limited choice. Not a problem now.

Air coolers do struggle with these when they're run unlocked, especially in anything that is heavily multithreaded. They can be made more manageable without losing much performance, but depends on how much tweaking you want to do in the BIOS.

Z790/B760 can only offer a PCI-E 5.0 M.2 if it steals lanes from the graphics card, since their native M.2 lanes are only PCIE 4.0.
I'll be using my Noctua DH-15 so that should help. I'm not averse to trying some undervolting if it helps.

If it wasn't for those Puiget benchmarks, I'd probably be going for AMD.

Associate
OP
Many thanks for all your replies. If I was gaming, I'd look at AMD but the 14700K suits me for my productivity needs. I don't see anything better coming soon so I'll be buying in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Associate
OP
Thanks again all. I've just bought the following:
0g2Cu9B.png

I have to wait on the cpu being restocked but that's ok as I also need to wait on a free adapter place for my NH-D15 coming from Noctua.

Back
Top Bottom