• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I7 5930K should I keep or Upgrade?

Associate
Hello folks

I need some advice on what I should do as my motherboard is faulty (X99 Pro) and ASUS rejected my RMA (Typical ASUS behaviour) and swore to never touch their products again. They have lost a loyal customer who has bought their boards for the last 6 years. They rejected it because I broke the pcie tab (that thing to push to release graphics card) while taking my system apart to send it off for RMA. So I am left with an i7 5930K and some DDR4 RAM sticks. What should I do? Buy a second hand motherboard or sell the CPU and move to a newer platform. I am only frustrated at ASUS, Overclockers on the other hand has been very helpful and thanks for the haribo when you returned back my board.

Thanks for reading

PS: Dear lord ASUS support sucks they also lied about some scratch on the left corner of the PCB and I cannot find this so called scratch and seriously a scratch voids warranty now??!!!! Stay away from this company

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are hapoy with your system then buy a cheap second hand X99 board.

Do a platform upgrade when you originally wanted to do one.

Soldato
It really depends on what you do with your system. If you are a content creator and do lots of things that use a lot of threads like encoding then I would get one of the Ryzen/Threadripper systems. If you are mainly gaming or just general computing then I'd be inclined to pick up a cheap 2nd hand X99 motherboard.

Caporegime
no point in going anything amd from what you already have tbh. pick up a mobo you can get them reasonable if you look around. just looked on the bay seen a few for decent money.

Soldato
The board wont POST unless I hard reset once then it would POST.

Thanks guys I am looking around for a motherboard. Found a pretty cheap MSI godlike and titanium what should I get?

Put your system back together, don't plug in any hardware to the motherboard other than the CPU, RAM (one module only) and graphics card , leave the HDD's, SSD's and any other PCi-E devices you may have completely disconnected. Reset the BIOS to defaults with the jumper or switch, and then test the system as normal, do not plug in any USB peripherals or other devices, only a display. If the behaviour remains constant, swap out the CR2032 BIOS battery, if you don't have one they cost 50p or less. Also ensure that you have the latest non-beta BIOS on the board, 3801 in your case, released on 2017/12/01. If you are still not having any luck then I would suggest testing it outside of the system before you write it off, and buy a new board.

Associate
Hello folks

I need some advice on what I should do as my motherboard is faulty (X99 Pro) and ASUS rejected my RMA (Typical ASUS behaviour) and swore to never touch their products again. They have lost a loyal customer who has bought their boards for the last 6 years. They rejected it because I broke the pcie tab (that thing to push to release graphics card) while taking my system apart to send it off for RMA. So I am left with an i7 5930K and some DDR4 RAM sticks. What should I do? Buy a second hand motherboard or sell the CPU and move to a newer platform. I am only frustrated at ASUS, Overclockers on the other hand has been very helpful and thanks for the haribo when you returned back my board.

Thanks for reading

PS: Dear lord ASUS support sucks they also lied about some scratch on the left corner of the PCB and I cannot find this so called scratch and seriously a scratch voids warranty now??!!!! Stay away from this company

Fwiw, I had same issue and just dogmatically stuck it out with them. In the end they replaced. Might be worth contesting?

Associate
OP
Fwiw, I had same issue and just dogmatically stuck it out with them. In the end they replaced. Might be worth contesting?

They already sent mine back and said something about a scratch on copper pcb or some jargon. I cannot find this scratch but I doubt they would budge. Did you send yours again?

Soldato
They already sent mine back and said something about a scratch on copper pcb or some jargon. I cannot find this scratch but I doubt they would budge. Did you send yours again?
Well if you are sure there is no scratch on it then my next step would be to take a high resolution picture of front and back and send it them asking if they can point out the scratch.

Soldato
ASUS really do have some cheek. Usually if there is any damage they’ll place a circular sticker around it. That said, I once bought an ASUS manufacturer refurbished board, contacted ASUS support to confirm it had been officially refurbished. Support confirmed they had replaced the 1150 socket (so they lie when they say they don’t do this). Despite being officially refurbished around 3 surface mounted components had been knocked off the VRM daughterboard, the soldering was awful and some of the traces appeared broken.

Double standard much?

All this said, when ASUS boards work it’s hard to say anything bad about them. It would appear the secret is to buy ASUS products from the one retailer who’ll accept returns years later without question.

Soldato
Also the fact that it was an old X99 board might have help them down the road of duplicity. It was probably more trouble than it was worth to them to source another one so it's easier to make up an excuse - after all what are you going to do that causes them sleepless nights?

Soldato
I went Ryzen from my 5820k. It's a side grade at best and quite an expensive one when you factor in buying faster RAM.

I has a charger port fail on my asus laptop a few years back when it was still under warranty, when I got it back the caps lock LED no longer worked. I got absolutely nowhere with my complaint. I've since changed the charger port again and discovered the LED had been knocked off the board! Its nowhere near the charge port either so there's absolutely no excuse.
I'm another one who won't buy Asus new unless it's the only option.

Soldato
ASUS RMA’s suck, it’s openly discussed regularly on most hardware forums, they have done for years and people still keep buying them unforunately. Even when an RMA is accepted what you get back can be an abomination. Gigabyte/ASROCK/Supermicro/MSI are generally a lot better in this respect.

Back
Top Bottom