i7 6900K Broadwell-E overclock gone in Windows ?

Associate
I have an issue I for the life of me cannot figure out. I am getting my two pc's with windows 10 ready for the RTX 2080/RTX 2080Ti and for them I need to upgrade to windows 10 build 1803.
One of my machines with MSI X99S Gaming 7 and Intel core i7 [email protected] everything is fine and my CPU runs overclocked with build 1803.
However in my main rig with MSI X99S SLi Krait Edition and Intel core i7 [email protected], my CPU only runs at 3.7GHz :confused:. I tried updating to the latest BIOS and set my OC settings in the BIOS, but in windows 10 build 1803 it still runs stock. Powermanagement is set to full performance.

What is going on here ?:(

Associate
I have an issue I for the life of me cannot figure out. I am getting my two pc's with windows 10 ready for the RTX 2080/RTX 2080Ti and for them I need to upgrade to windows 10 build 1803.
One of my machines with MSI X99S Gaming 7 and Intel core i7 [email protected] everything is fine and my CPU runs overclocked with build 1803.
However in my main rig with MSI X99S SLi Krait Edition and Intel core i7 [email protected], my CPU only runs at 3.7GHz :confused:. I tried updating to the latest BIOS and set my OC settings in the BIOS, but in windows 10 build 1803 it still runs stock. Powermanagement is set to full performance.

What is going on here ?:(

Have you got an app in windows that’s taking the OC away? Like AI suite or similar? Have you got speedstep on in bios?

Associate
OP
Have you got an app in windows that’s taking the OC away? Like AI suite or similar? Have you got speedstep on in bios?

No OC apps/programs installed. Everything set in the BIOS.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/122477-windows-10-kb4100347-update-breaks-broadwell-e-overclocking/
Will check mine later when I get home. Not sure if it affects all makes of motherboard or not.

I've read into it now, and it seems that it's primarily Broadwell-E users that are hit by the update :rolleyes:
I'll look for the update when I'm home in 5min and see if that's the culprit.

Associate
I've just had a look and I do have that update installed, but it hasn't affected my MSI X99 and 5820k at all, I am running a pretty old BIOS though (If it ain't broken don't fix it IMO).
From what I've read it seems that uninstalling that update should allow your overclock to function as it was before.

Associate
OP
It seems like Haswell-E cpus are not affected by this update - which I can confirm with my i7 5960X.
However it is Broadwell-E cpus that are affected no matter manufacturer or bios version.
I uninstalled the KB4100347 update and I have blocked that particular update with the MS windows update tool and the CPU is running 4.2GHz again.

Associate
I can confirm I have the same issue, the more recent Windows update has also not resolved it :(

I also have an issue with the latest series of Nvidia drivers breaking my dual screen setup, not a great time for me on Windows

Chris

Associate
OP
I can confirm I have the same issue, the more recent Windows update has also not resolved it :(

I also have an issue with the latest series of Nvidia drivers breaking my dual screen setup, not a great time for me on Windows

Chris
Yea I hope it'll get fixed. So far it doens't look like it since the KB4100347 will be integrated into the upcoming windows 10 october update :(

Associate
OP
And it's confirmed Windows 10 Build 1809 October updates block overclocking on Broadwell-E users - only solution currently is to either 1) Don't update, 2) Overclock via BLCK since it seems to be unaffected.

Associate
OP
I can CONFIRM that the latest BIOS update for my MSI X99S SLI KRAIT Edition board the overclocking with KB4100347 and Windows 10 Build 1809 WORKS !. I wrote to MSI support and they confirm that for their X99 platforms all BIOS's dated back to June 2018 are equipped with the latest Intel microcode update.
I originally had downloaded the new BIOS via my countries local link, but getting the BIOS from the american website solved it !

Associate
For anyone with an ASUS X99 board - The latest 1902 BIOS maintains my 6900K overclock on a Strix mobo with KB4100347 installed

Edit: I am using 125 BCLK though (34x) which I think is relevant as it seems the multiplier is restricted

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
I finally fixed the Overclocking issue by updating the BIOS manually with the latest Intel Microcode as it looks like Asus weren't going to do anything :rolleyes:

Chris

Soldato
I just got hit with the KB4100347. Uninstalled for the moment and hidden using wushowhide. I hope Asus pull their finger out and push a BIOS update for the RV edition 10, it was their top tier overclocking board for x99, and I'd rather not roll my own BIOS update unless I'm forced to. I'll certainly not be buying ASUS again is this is their idea of "support" on their high end overclocking platform.

Associate
Best hope is for Microsoft to fix this crap, i'm not betting much on ASUS - but hey they might surprise us.

Soldato
Good news for Rampage V Edition 10 owners:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_BIOS/

BIOS Version 1903 2019/01/31

Best hope is for Microsoft to fix this crap, i'm not betting much on ASUS - but hey they might surprise us.

It wasn't something Microsoft could fix as far as I understand. They were doing the right thing patching the CPU's microcode on load, but that interferes with any clock settings applied on boot. It was always Asus's responsibility to provide the updates in the BIOS, especially as it was their premier overclocking board of the generation. Thankfully they've finally decided to support their customers.

Edit2: FWIW the BIOS fixes the Broadwell-E overclock issue on the RVE10, I would also recommend it for Haswell-E users.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom