• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-8700 or Xeon E5 1650v3 - for virtualization

What are you wanting to run? They both support the same virtualisation instructions so there wouldn’t be a whole lot of difference. If it’s something mission critical go for the Xeon with ECC Memory, if not go for the 8700 because it’s slightly faster

Xeon system is socket 2011 so likely to have quad channel memory (although my X79 Chinese motherboard is dual channel), and more PCIe connectivity.

There's also upgrade potential, the 8700 is pretty much the top chip for that socket, while you can get some very affordable upgrades pulled from servers for the Xeons - I just had a look and you can get a 2699 v3 (18 core 36 thread) for under £40 (I recently upgraded to a 2680 v2, 10c20t, for £12.99)!

The 9700k & 9900k cpu's should also work in the same socket

OP would need to list the motherboard for us to confirm

Right you are - I had it in my mind that they hadn't increased the core count from 8-9th gen (and should have said chipset rather than socket - I thought that was still in the time when thye made you buy a new board with each release)!

He/we'll need to know the motherboard to tell if the potential E5 2xxx upgrade I suggested is possible too tbf (otherwise the only higher option would be the 1680v3)

Last edited:
Morning all.

Thanks for the replies.

HP Z440 workstation. Serial number CZC60996XM.

I can't find the motherboard spec. No idea what CPU it'll support.

Installed Proxmox, good so far

Nice! It looks like the product number is F5W13AV and from what I can see on other sites (which I can't link here) it should take a 1xxx or 2xxx v3/v4 processor, meaning up to 22 core (2699 v4) but they're a bit pricey still.
14 cores (e.g. 2690 v4) can be had much cheaper.

Enjoy :)

(Edit: although YMMV, would depend on BIOS support and I'm not sure how easy they would be to find!)

Last edited:
Nice! It looks like the product number is F5W13AV and from what I can see on other sites (which I can't link here) it should take a 1xxx or 2xxx v3/v4 processor, meaning up to 22 core (2699 v4) but they're a bit pricey still.
14 cores (e.g. 2690 v4) can be had much cheaper.

Enjoy :)

(Edit: although YMMV, would depend on BIOS support and I'm not sure how easy they would be to find!)

just upgraded my dell T7810 to 2 x 2699v3 for £62.98 (although for purely virtualisation might be better with a v4 chip). 36 cores for that price can't compain.

Thanks TrojanWhore,

What details in the BIOS you need?
This seems to be the latest BIOS:

Mostly security updates from the look of it, it'd probably be fine anyway (without updating), most of the chips I'm referencing are around 10 years old!

If it was me I'd just chuck a high (but not highest) core count v4 in and hope for the best....or get the lowest 2xxx v4 to test (as it'll likely be a few quid), then if it works buy a bigger one - if that works then the bigger ones almost certainly will too.

Edit: 2620 v4 is about a fiver! Or a 2690v4 is under £40 posted

Last edited:
This seems to be the latest BIOS:

Mostly security updates from the look of it, it'd probably be fine anyway (without updating), most of the chips I'm referencing are around 10 years old!

If it was me I'd just chuck a high (but not highest) core count v4 in and hope for the best....or get the lowest 2xxx v4 to test (as it'll likely be a few quid), then if it works buy a bigger one - if that works then the bigger ones almost certainly will too.

Edit: 2620 v4 is about a fiver! Or a 2690v4 is under £40 posted
Also I always find CPUs in these sort of machines so easy to change. a 5min job compared to half an hour or so in a nromal PC.

Open up a screwless side panel, 4 screws on cooler with loads of room around it, the reverse and done.

Back
Top Bottom