• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-8700 power throttling

Ish

Ish

Associate
Hi

We use an i7-8700 in our video streaming pc. We have had some issues lately and I'm trying to see what is causing it. Is it normal for power throttling to be constantly on as in the pic I took below while video streaming.The PC is not overclocked. The mb is a B360-HD3

Soldato
I would have a look in the bios as its a 65w CPU yet in the pic it's saying 45w so maybe there's a low power setting activated.

Ish

Ish

Associate
OP
I couldn't fina any settinngs in the bios relating to this. It does sometimes go up to about 60w but was showing less when looking at the picture.

That is strange, I have an 8700 and a B360 mobo, I've just ran the CPU stress test in the Intel Extreme Tuning utility and I'm getting no thermal throttling at all, my package TDP is running @ around 90/95w!, try running the stress test in the app and see you run into the same issues.

Also you running the latest bios?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It might be easiest to just bench it and check the numbers, to make sure it's operating normally. When turbo mode is active it can switch to a higher power limit temporarily (Anandtech have an article on it: TDP, Turbo, PL1 and PL2). I think you can change the power limit and the duration in the BIOS, it's also possible to make turbo apply to all-cores. If you want to troubleshoot performance spikes I'd consider turning turbo off, because it should operate reliably at the stock frequency.

Soldato
What cooler do you have on it? I have one and used to run it with the stock cooler and it would throttle during intensive tasks until I replaced it with an aftermarket cooler.

Back
Top Bottom