• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 8700k CPU frequency all over the place (built today)

Associate
Hello to all. I have noticed straight away in Core Temp or CPU Z my CPU frequency is up and down like a yo yo. Is there some setting in the BIOS that keeps the frequency at 3.7GHz default? I will be overclocking soon though to hopefully 4.7 or 4.8GHz. Thank you :)

Associate
OP
That won’t happen, even running at full speed if the cpu is not in use it won’t draw much juice. Check the power draw in hwinfo when your pc is idle at the maximum performance power setting.

My 8700k @ 4.8Ghz 1.275v all core is only pulling about 17W right now.
Where is this maximum performance power setting? In Windows? Could you help me on this please?

Associate
OP
I've set the power setting in Windows back to balanced (default) and manually overclocked my 8700k to 4.7GHz. I've set my CPU Vcore to 1.27v. Is this too high or just about right or would I be ok at 1.26v or even 1.25v? Thanks.

Associate
OP
I'm running at 4.8 on all cores at 1.24v. I'd drop it to 1.2v and run Prime95 for a while to see if it crashes. If it does, increase by .1v and repeat until it stops crashing.

It might help to change some other BIOS settings. I use these, which I think are recommended more often than not:

Cache ratio: 44
AVX Offset: 3
Speedstep: Disabled
Turbo Boost and Speed Shift: Enabled
LLC: Level 1 (this is the maximum on Asrock boards - I think some scale the other way)
VCCIO: 1.05v
VCCSA: 1.25v
I got my cache ratio on 45, AVX I left it default (didn't change nothing), Speedstep is disabled along with the other power saving features etc, LLC I actually left on auto as I've seen people mention that some might be ok on auto and others on turbo.

Back
Top Bottom