Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz
Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
GTX 1080 WindfForce
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB 3000Mhz
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD
Seasonic Focus Plus 650W 80 Plus Gold
Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
Phanteks Eclipse P400S

I have 2 extra fans at the front, and one on the top of the case for extra exhaust. Idle temps are 45-50, while just normal browsing is entering the high 80s? Did I maybe not seat the cooler properly? Seems very high for not even doing much.. any suggestions? Or is HWMonitor false reporting? I'm looking at the package temps which shows all cores reaching these temps. The TMPIN temps are all showing between 25-30C.

Edit: Just was playing a game, and temps reached 100'C after 5 minutes, something is seriously not right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Avoid doing anything stressful on the cpu until this is sorted.

I'd assume it's either an erroneously high voltage or the cooler is not mounted correctly. Check vcore using CPU-Z and report back.

Did you remember to use thermal paste? And if the cooler had a plastic protector on the contact plate, did you remove it?

Associate
OP
The vcore fluctuates from 1.1 to 1.2 on CPU-Z, HWMonitor shows a max of 1.2v. Yes I removed all the plastic on the cooler and plates. And used arctic silver thermal paste. Temp is currently 68C just using these forums.

Associate
Take some photos then pull off the cooler (assuming you still have some paste left to reseat after) and take some more if you can't immediately work out whats causing it to be high..

Associate
OP
Just an update. Re-seated the cooler, and applied more thermal paste. Seems to of done the trick, temps are reach 52C while gaming. Idle is 32C is that's normal? Thanks for the help!

Soldato
Just an update. Re-seated the cooler, and applied more thermal paste. Seems to of done the trick, temps are reach 52C while gaming. Idle is 32C is that's normal? Thanks for the help!

Try a Cinebench R15 run. Temps you see there will be very similar to the maximum in the most CPU-intensive games. The temps you are reporting now could be influenced by the game/s in question, or how slow your cooler's fan is spinning when system is idle. So get a better idea of maxes, and you'll be more assured.

Associate

Definitely seem a lot more within range I'd be expecting, and these are perfectly safe, especially the temp under load.

Soldato

Hey there, good combo, I'm interested in buying the 8700k and Dark Rock Pro 3 to go with it but curious to how it handles 100% load, any chance you could stress it and see what max it reaches? Would be massively appreciated

Associate
Hey there, good combo, I'm interested in buying the 8700k and Dark Rock Pro 3 to go with it but curious to how it handles 100% load, any chance you could stress it and see what max it reaches? Would be massively appreciated

You could just google it given it's been out for multiple months? A good place to start would be this article https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking has plenty of accurate thermals and performance info.

Back
Top Bottom