i7 920 Upgrade overdue ... what do you think to this planned setup?

Associate
Hi all,

I'm due an upgrade (as you'll probably agree).

Current Setup is in my signature (minus a new HGST 2TB enterprise ultrastar 7600k Hard Drive which is on it's way).

Keeping:
  • Hard Drives and Optical Drive (Sony DVD-RW DL)
  • CPU Cooler (Thermalright have assured me it is compatible with 1151 socket)
  • 750D Case
  • HCP 850W PSU
  • Optical Drive
  • NZXT Hue lighting
  • OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - I do not wish to upgrade to windows 10 yet!
  • Samsung 27" 1080p HDMI monitor
  • TrackIR v5 with pro clip [recent investment and not disappointed]
  • G29 Logitech wheel, pedals and shifter
Current *Possible* Upgrades:
Future Planned Upgrades:
  • OS to Windows 10 Pro x64 bit
  • M.2 SSD hard drive for OS and applications (would probably go with a Samsung 960 Pro)
  • upgrade CPU to 7700k or new model if Z270 supports it (hence the Z270 chipset)
  • New GPU
What I use PC for at the moment:
  • Gaming at 1080p (mainly Flight Sim 2004 [with plenty of addons] and Train Sim [with plenty of addons]. But I also play: Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, C&C Generals, Star Trek Starfleet Command 3, OpenTTD, Transport Fever, OMSI 2, GTA V, F1 Games, Dirt 3, Grid 2, ETS2, ATS, Kerbal Space Program and Classic Stars game)
  • General internet usage and emails
  • General office work
  • Streaming media drive to tablet over wifi
  • occasional web site design using Dreamweaver CC
  • occasional Photoshop editing (not often and it's only basic stuff these days tbh)
Future Planned Usage:
  • want to get back into making YouTube videos of my gaming, so learning and implementing video editing
  • including all of current usage; however, I plan to upgrade to Prepare 3D 64 bit Flight Sim and buy a load of addons for that as this will be my main usage
  • ripping blu rays to store films on current 8TB hard drive

Should I consider the AMD Ryzen architecture?

The reason I ask is my main usage is gaming on Flight Sim and Train Sim. My current Flight Sim is very much depending on high frequency of the single core performance - hence the Intel option above.

Thank you for your time and advice :)

Associate
OP
The reason I do not wish to update to Windows 10 is due to my Flight Sim 2004 and all the addons I got for it. I spent over a grand on this setup.

From my research done online FS2004 with the addons I have runs better on Windows 7 than Windows 10.

I plan to upgrade to Prepar3d once it's 64 bit version has been released.

I also like to play old games such as C&C Generals etc (listed above).

Associate
OP
Hi guys, I've not had chance to read through the thread yet as I've been busy reinstalling FS9. Anyway, with regards to a server chip, what are the frame rates like in games? examples would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Just an update.

Prepar 3D is going to be releasing a 64 bit version (Flight Sim), finally ... it's been well overdue if you ask me.

So, I'm going to wait for now until I see what brand works best and then decide what I will upgrade to.

Still unsure on the xeon but I will not rule it out from reading that thread :)

Associate
OP
... Some of the addons I have for FSX (PMDG T7) were quite expensive however so I'm holding off for Prepar 3D 64bit before I change flight sim software any more. Like yourself I to need to build a new PC as mine is showing its age now sadly :( I'm unsure if I'll go the VR route yet however I have read it's pretty much the way forward for simulators. Until then as well as PC upgrade I'll be wanting a Dell Ultrasharp U3415W 34" monitor which annoyingly seem to have gone up in price recently. It should however be immersive enough for simulators without going the whole multi monitor setup route.
I don't think VR is going to kick off. They tried it years ago. Granted technology has gone far but for Flight Sim, a 3 monitor setup or like you a large monitor does the job for those on a tight budget. Instead of VR, I'd HIGHLY recommend TrackIR, it works wonders and seriously improves gaming experience :)

Also, check this guide out by Nick (its very good) but it is a long read.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Back
Top Bottom