• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 intel 920 @2.66 HELP!! Please

Associate
Hi I have a i7 intel 920 2.66ghz with the Gigabyte mobo EX58-UD5 and 6gig of DDR3 RAM it was supposed to be clocked to 3ghz but when I run CUP-Z the clocks core speed is 1619.2Mhz multiplier x12.0 Bus speed 134.9Mhz QPI Link 2428.8 can any 1 tell me if this is right please help a newbe to overclocking :(thanks

Caporegime
Probably down to intels speedstep technology, this drops the multiplier to save power, try loading something like prime95 which will fully load the system, then use cpuz to verify if the system is indeed overclocked to 3ghz.

Associate
What do you mean it was supposed to be clocked at 3Ghz? Did you buy the pre-overclocked bundle?

As Setter said, there is an option in the BIOS that drops the multiplier to save power when you're not doing any CPU-intensive activities. Check to see if it's on or not; I don't know what it's called, but it should be quite self-explanatory.

Permabanned
Hi I have a i7 intel 920 2.66ghz with the Gigabyte mobo EX58-UD5 and 6gig of DDR3 RAM it was supposed to be clocked to 3ghz but when I run CUP-Z the clocks core speed is 1619.2Mhz multiplier x12.0 Bus speed 134.9Mhz QPI Link 2428.8 can any 1 tell me if this is right please help a newbe to overclocking :(thanks

Its the speed step mate as already mentioned by another member. If you want it at 3ghz 24/7 then disable it along with the c1 state.

McT

D13

D13

Associate
Yes, basically what everyone is saying Tazmad is thta you are looking at the speed of the cpu whilst it is doing nothing and therfore going slowly. If for example you started running a game the cpu should fire up to faster speeds.

Associate
If speed step is on, leave it. Like the others have said, it will clock up to 3Ghz when you run a game, if you need it.

I have all thermal and power settings on, and I have a 975. No need to keep everything on full whack, my CPU is running at 1.6Ghz.

i7's have lots of headroom and will power up when you need it, why waste money on electricity.

Soldato
Does speedstep work pretty good? are there any problems I should know of?

I have my 920 @ 4.2ghz but I want to save on electric if I can

Soldato
Does speedstep work pretty good? are there any problems I should know of?

I have my 920 @ 4.2ghz but I want to save on electric if I can

I'm running speedstep on my D0 920, it works perfectly, It spends most of it's time @ 2.4GHz, and when given some workload, it jumps immediately to 4GHz. It's like turbo mode, but much better as all 4 cores jump to 4GHz.

Back
Top Bottom