i7 rig slow?

Associate
I finnaly built my rig and it did not live up to my high expectations. I'm running on 32 bit Vista for the time being until I receive my windows 7. I loaded up CSS and ran a stress test and I acheived a ridculously slow 119.9 FPS. Which I thought was really low. I do not know why it is so low? I mean my settings are:
Intel i7 860
4GB Geil RAM
GTX 285

I do not understand why my system is not acheiving 'outstanding' performance. Am I missing something here? Can anyone confirm if anything is wrong here? I will test other games though.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response, but I do not care if I have ridiculously HIGH frame rates on CSS, it's just a bit of disappointment really, I thought I would get higher regardless of an old game. But your guess may be true, I will have to test it at newer games to see the difference. At such a High end spec, I thought I would expect higher but I will test other games. Cheers.

If not I might overclock my i7.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
120 FPS makes a huge difference to gaming regardless of the refresh rate of your monitor. I used to run 333FPS on RTCW, this enables longer strafe jumps and smoother than smooth gameplay!!!, but it was seen as a cheat so I use 120!!! which also improves strafe jumping, but is achievable by most modern graphics cards.

Edit: Geckovich, I think when people spend hundreds of pounds upgrading to the latest and greatest they expect massive improvement across the board and ENORMOUS improvement on older games, because that have always always been the case in the past...whats changed?

I upgraded from a 939 system including 3200+ AMD , 512 RAM, I think i should deserve a VAST improvement over that.

Associate
OP
unknown
software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location
0x757627da.

Thats the error it's saying and it cuts out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It might be software problems which slow my PC down due to me not using windows 7. Vista has a lot of problems with it at the moment involving mostly memory related errors. Which makes no sense at all. I'm using Vista 32 bit atm until Windows 7 releases.

Associate
OP
And Consoles suck, I'd much rather have a pc so I can just say look at games like crysis and say WOWWWW. I love graphics :D Can't complain about the graphics though the graphics card is pretty good :)

Associate
OP
CS:S barely uses the graphics card, 16X AA doesnt have an effect on your frame rate when compared to no AA.

The reason for the low frame rate is that it is optimised to use a single core processor only.

Thank you for clearing it up for me. I'm going to test other games despite me using crappy vista! I will want to overclock for deffo now as you said no point buying an i7 if you're not overclocking. Will 860's clock as good as the 920's?

Can anyone spec me a good cooler for the 1156 socket?

Any any advice on how to overclock?

It's going to be my first time.

Associate
OP
I believe the i7 860 is similar to the 920 when overclocking as it is limited more by the motherboards highest stable BCLK and the cooling than the CPU itself.

For a cooler recommendation, this one is fantastic or this if you want to stick with air cooling (plus you will need a fan like this).

If you don't want to spend this kind of money, this cooler is still pretty good.

Would they fit the 1156 socket though?

Back
Top Bottom