• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9 9900k

I've been testing 5.3GHz OC and could pass 1 hour of AIDA64 (CPU, Cache) 5.3GHz/4.7GHz cache at 1.344v under load with no whea errors. Using MSI Meg ACE Z390 motherboard with LLC4 mode, 1.375 Vcore in Bios. 1.373v idle and 1.344v under load

hOuJPzV.jpg

I've been testing 5.3GHz OC and could pass 1 hour of AIDA64 (CPU, Cache) 5.3GHz/4.7GHz cache at 1.344v under load with no whea errors. Using MSI Meg ACE Z390 motherboard with LLC4 mode, 1.375 Vcore in Bios. 1.373v idle and 1.344v under load

hOuJPzV.jpg

Nice. Try Intel XTU. If you can pass this for an hour, you've got a fairly solid ratio for non AVX workloads.

Almost went for this but ended up ordering the 9700k and Maximus hero earlier today, i just can't justify the extra for HT when i'm pretty much only gaming.

Hi everyone first post thanks for all the great information on this forum.

I have been reviewing the benchmarks of all the usual games and there seems to be little in it between the 9900 and the 9700
I was wondering if anyone knows if there would be a bigger difference between the 2 cpu's when running ray traced games on the rtx series cards.

Will the hyperthreaded 9900 pull ahead on future games with ray trace enabled or will it be pretty much the same whether ray tracing is switched on or not?

I am upgrading my 4670k so want to make sure I make the right decision. It will be a rig purely for gaming in 4k and I am looking to get a 2080ti.

Thanks for any advice

Thanks but I was wondering if the cpu makes a difference for the ray tracing part (asuming it takes off in future games) whether its 4k or not.

Thought I would share some info after switching from 9900k on Asus ROG z370g to Asus z390 Maximus XI.

Before I needed 1.35v LLC level 6 and games would cause throttling into the high 90's.

Now I am at 1.270v LLC level 6 and max temps after 3 hours of Assassins Creed Origins (which seems to tax the CPU a lot) is 79c on the package.

The high temps seem to be spikes in cut scenes or loading, just like in BF V.

Motherboard definitely seems to make a massive difference for me.

Would people say those temps now are healthy? I know they are a lot better than before!

Thanks.

Can you not use less voltage for that frequency by any chance ?

I really wish I could! It's just not stable with anything less. I mean it boots at 1.25 but is not stable at all. Testing thoroughly, I am at 1.340v 4.9GHz with no WHEA errors...yet.

It might be down to your mobo.

I know SL said that they weren't adding a lot of z370 boards to their qvl because they required more volts for the same OC vs z390.
In fact there is only 1 z370 board listed.

That is a very good point. I had thought that. I guess I just thought it wouldn't make SO much difference. Coming from 8700k 1.280v 5GHz makes it more annoying! Oh well, if I can get it stable then it's pretty much the same but with core cores and cache etc so all good I guess :)

The 9900k is no slouch even at stock, the 2 core 5ghz makes a big difference.

Maybe if you tweak the oc per core you can squeeze even more out of your cpu.

And as a bonus if at some point you do decide to swap to z390 perhaps you'll unlock extra hidden potential.

Just a shame z370 happened. It seemed like a rushed response to ryzen while z390 was the release z370 should have been. I feel like i got lucky being able to return my z370 when i did

Thought I would share some info after switching from 9900k on Asus ROG z370g to Asus z390 Maximus XI.

Before I needed 1.35v LLC level 6 and games would cause throttling into the high 90's.

Now I am at 1.270v LLC level 6 and max temps after 3 hours of Assassins Creed Origins (which seems to tax the CPU a lot) is 79c on the package.

The high temps seem to be spikes in cut scenes or loading, just like in BF V.

Motherboard definitely seems to make a massive difference for me.

Would people say those temps now are healthy? I know they are a lot better than before!

Thanks.

Good info for others to see. The motherboard being used really does make a difference, particularly when it is a case of z370 vs z390.

I'm glad you are finally able to get the most out of that CPU!

Temps depend on the cooler and case airflow but they don't seem terrible. I'm guessing you are still in that restrictive case you described a while back?

Good info for others to see. The motherboard being used really does make a difference, particularly when it is a case of z370 vs z390.

I'm glad you are finally able to get the most out of that CPU!

Temps depend on the cooler and case airflow but they don't seem terrible. I'm guessing you are still in that restrictive case you described a while back?

Yeah, still the case with the sealed top panel. Voltages make such a massive difference. Now I am trying to fine tune everything to get slightly lower temps. I have gone as low as I can with the vcore I think. I have changed SA IO voltages from stock (1.25/1.32) to both 1.200v. Der8auer suggests 1.15 for VCCIO and 1.1 for SA I believe. Thought I'd try 1.15 for both next.

Yeah, still the case with the sealed top panel. Voltages make such a massive difference. Now I am trying to fine tune everything to get slightly lower temps. I have gone as low as I can with the vcore I think. I have changed SA IO voltages from stock (1.25/1.32) to both 1.200v. Der8auer suggests 1.15 for VCCIO and 1.1 for SA I believe. Thought I'd try 1.15 for both next.

SA and IO will come into play if you start overclocking your ram, or to check stability at given timings, only way to know is to use stressap or HCI memtest at your current voltages for both.

SA and IO will come into play if you start overclocking your ram, or to check stability at given timings, only way to know is to use stressap or HCI memtest at your current voltages for both.

Just using XMP at 3200 MHz. I've dropped the SA and IO down to 1.15 for each now.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to CPU temps.

Just about staying under 80c max. Just spikes though at heavy load (in game). Usually stays in the 60's and 70's. And the average temps are pretty good.

Not using an offset which makes a massive difference.

Might have to just call it a day there and see how it gets on in hotter weather!

real time ray tracing is in its infancy lol. 2080ti can only just about do it 1440p 60hz. much less 4k.
expect a frame show if you want to run 4k with ray tracing.

Well, my 2080 must be a Titan RT then as I get 73+ FPS on most of the MP BFV maps, 80+ on a few (1440P). The patch a few weeks back gave a good increase.
I get better FPS from BFV with RT on than I do in the latest Final Fantasy game.
I agree it's in its infancy but so far still pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom