• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hey all my 9900k under push pull h115i pro reaches 95c :/ 1.34v 5ghz is this normal ??so much for soldier Tim
Under what load?

Edit :

https://wccftech.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900k-8-core-cpu-z390-aorus-master-review/

This site uses the same cooler and at 1.352v on an open test bench (presumably since no case is listed) they are seeing similar temps.
They appear to have a better sample than you since theirs is clocked at 5.3GHz but so long as you are talking about your temps under stress testing and not minesweeper then they don't look terrible.

However, they may be a little high depending on your setup.
If you have plenty of airflow in the case and the rad is getting fresh cool air then perhaps check the cooler mount to see if it is making full contact all across the IHS.
I have tried several 9900ks where the IHS made it hard to get good even contact with the heatsink. I have also seen others showing off their IHS where the thermal paste wasn't being spread evenly by the pressure of the heatsink, indicating poor or uneven pressure.

Edit 2 :rolleyes:

I've checked a few other sources of temperature info and yours does seem to be right where it should be for prime fft with 5GHz and 1.3v going into the cpu. I wouldn't expect 90 degrees outside of heavy stress testing mind you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does reducing the temp reduce the vcore needed for an oc, or does it just reduce the temp making an oc that would otherwise be thermally limited possible?

Yes in a way, as temp decreases voltage drops a little but so does headroom stability. I can't pass 5.5 with upto 1.45v at normal water temps, cpu is still within working range of 86c but it's not stable enough even with a bit more volts. So thermals help massively.

Associate
Update. So i repasted my h115i pro with grizzly and under prime small ft i'm still hitting 100c and throttling WITH NO OVERCLOCK! Have i been shafted by the silicone lottery, most likely.

I'm going to overclock back to 5.1 at 1.35 vcore and burn it out.

Soldato
Update. So i repasted my h115i pro with grizzly and under prime small ft i'm still hitting 100c and throttling WITH NO OVERCLOCK! Have i been shafted by the silicone lottery, most likely.

I'm going to overclock back to 5.1 at 1.35 vcore and burn it out.

Back to??? What are you running at 5.2ghz? There are very few 9900k's that will run 24/7 at that speed. 1.35v will still produce a lot of heat on these.

On a side note, is your AIO new? It has been known before for people to leave the film on the base head.

Soldato
Where did you send it?

For LN2 you need the IHS on right? Is it worth delidding, swapping the STIM for something like kryo or hydro and using a larger IHS? I know you can't use LM due to the low temp.
I no longer have pots so can't test it myself. Defo not worth delid for LN2. Only end of with the "crack' if you do. Where the TIM freezes and then separates from ihs and die, sometimes instant death to cpu. Soldered best.

Soldato
Under what load?

Edit :

https://wccftech.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900k-8-core-cpu-z390-aorus-master-review/

This site uses the same cooler and at 1.352v on an open test bench (presumably since no case is listed) they are seeing similar temps.
They appear to have a better sample than you since theirs is clocked at 5.3GHz but so long as you are talking about your temps under stress testing and not minesweeper then they don't look terrible.

However, they may be a little high depending on your setup.
If you have plenty of airflow in the case and the rad is getting fresh cool air then perhaps check the cooler mount to see if it is making full contact all across the IHS.
I have tried several 9900ks where the IHS made it hard to get good even contact with the heatsink. I have also seen others showing off their IHS where the thermal paste wasn't being spread evenly by the pressure of the heatsink, indicating poor or uneven pressure.

Edit 2 :rolleyes:

I've checked a few other sources of temperature info and yours does seem to be right where it should be for prime fft with 5GHz and 1.3v going into the cpu. I wouldn't expect 90 degrees outside of heavy stress testing mind you.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

My chip is a turd I guess. I hope it doesn't die for 3 years at least. God bless the retail chip.

Associate
I no longer have pots so can't test it myself. Defo not worth delid for LN2. Only end of with the "crack' if you do. Where the TIM freezes and then separates from ihs and die, sometimes instant death to cpu. Soldered best.
I had heard that mentioned before but I didn't know what it was. Ty for explaining. :cool:

Associate
Thanks man, appreciate it.

My chip is a turd I guess. I hope it doesn't die for 3 years at least. God bless the retail chip.

There are some users that have claimed to have 9900ks that wouldn't do 4.8GHz, so it could be worse. 5.3GHz seems to be the exception rather than the rule, with 5GHz being a reasonable target and 5.1/5.2 being the very high end of what is possible with reasonable cooling. I was surprised they got 5.3GHz tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
This is the highest 24/7 claim i have seen so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ahcq1s/my_247_setting_9900k_53ghz_ddr_4500_cl17_with/

5.3GHz with DDR4 4500 CL17 and 'tight timings'

There are images in the op and the replies to further requests for info suggest that more details will be added to the thread for anyone interested.

Mobo is a z390 dark and cooling is water with at least 2x MO-RA 420s, so a huge amount of rad space according to a post further down the page.

I don't know if this is delidded or not.

Some more info from the watercooling subreddit for anyone else that is curious about this overclock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/agsyaq/built_it_to_play_games_but_i_ended_up_just/

"Dual Mo-Ra3 420, 8x Noctua A20
EK Xres 140 D5 RGB
AC D5 in WC D5 Top
Heatkiller IV
Bitspower GPU Block
EK Monarch Aquaero 6 LT
Splitty 9
Hubby 7
AC Highflow USB
AC Filter"

"GPU stays at about 38c with 2160/8000 overclock on 1.093v which is it's max. CPU is a 9900k, but a bad one, needs 1.42v at 5.3Ghz which I have her currently. RAM runs at 3200@4400 CL17 with tight timings about on 28c with stress testing. I'm still binning so CPU will change again soon. Overall my water temps after radiators are equally to the ambient temperature. On idle the water is even colder than ambient."

Edit - it is delidded but not direct die yet.

Last edited:
Associate
This is tragic, i can only stabilise 5ghz to at 1.4 vcore. Anything under is a failure. I'm tempted to run it at 1.5v 5.1ghz with maybe a 1 or 2 avx until it burns out. I wish overclocking was as easy and effective as it used to be on my 5820k

Soldato
Associate
Not so sure I'd call it 24/7 stable, he states to run prime non AVX he requires 1.42v and thats at 5.2ghz. 1.42v is a little high for 24/7 even with big rads.

Yup, it is hard to validate the claim they are making and there is no telling how long it will last. It may go pop after a week, or it may outlast us all. I know they claim that they don't run prime fft @5.3GHz due to heat issues which at 1.4v+ on a 9900k with just water is a legitimate reason not to.

But if they are running it 24/7 at that oc and it is stable in their workloads then i guess they aren't lying. If they can cool it 24/7 and it doesn't crash or produce errors then more power to them.

I would like to find the forum post they talk about for the 1.34v 5.3GHz cpu that is mentioned in the comments.
Edit - i have a feeling I am going to have to wade through some German to find it....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom