Icloud for photographs

Associate
My wife was having storage issues with her phone and purchased upgraded icloud for her photographs. She mistakenly thought you could put them in 'the cloud' and not have them on your phone.

So now she has them backed up to the cloud and the optimised/compressed pic on her phone. My question is how do you know which ones are optimised and what happens if you decide to cancel the icloud plan. How do you retrieve your photographs back in the uncompressed state?

She is thinking of using a different cloud method that doesn't mean you have to have them on the phone.

Soldato
My wife was having storage issues with her phone and purchased upgraded icloud for her photographs. She mistakenly thought you could put them in 'the cloud' and not have them on your phone.

So now she has them backed up to the cloud and the optimised/compressed pic on her phone. My question is how do you know which ones are optimised and what happens if you decide to cancel the icloud plan. How do you retrieve your photographs back in the uncompressed state?

She is thinking of using a different cloud method that doesn't mean you have to have them on the phone.
AFAIK all of the ones on your phone will be 'optimised' and all the originals are stored in iCloud. You can access the originals via icloud.com and you can just select them all if you want and download. Explained here; https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204264

Soldato

As Biz Kid says, its dynamic and does it behind the scenes - in short, your over thinking it.

If you want to download or export an original it will do so as you browse that or export it - just use the phones as is, because in reality no one makes massive prints of their photos these days, and if your wife does, it will automatically grab the original file

Permabanned
The thing about storing things in the cloud over and over and over in iCloud is that eventually the phone space will be depleted and there won't be any more room to store anything unless it's maintained. You can easy use 128GB in photos and videos alone not to mention apps/music and documents.

Soldato
The thing about storing things in the cloud over and over and over in iCloud is that eventually the phone space will be depleted and there won't be any more room to store anything unless it's maintained. You can easy use 128GB in photos and videos alone not to mention apps/music and documents.

No, it doesn't work like that - the phone keeps approx 30 days of recent photos locally, and then only small file sizes locally for others - iv got 227gb of photos/video, but on my phone its about 25-30gb space used, the rest is in icloud and i can just browse any photos anytime, and it downloads what i need for full res ones.

Permabanned
No, it doesn't work like that - the phone keeps approx 30 days of recent photos locally, and then only small file sizes locally for others - iv got 227gb of photos/video, but on my phone its about 25-30gb space used, the rest is in icloud and i can just browse any photos anytime, and it downloads what i need for full res ones.

Assuming you purchased bigger storage in the cloud though yeh? that's cool never knew it worked like that. :)

Soldato
Assuming you purchased bigger storage in the cloud though yeh? that's cool never knew it worked like that. :)

Yeah i got the 2tb one for £7.99 a month which is cheaper than most and i like apples privacy approach to user files - unlike google etc who sell everything and read all the contents of drive for advertising and god knows what else

Soldato
Hi Guys

Just to jump in on this thread I purchased 200gb and I’ve got 9.56gb of photos and videos and my wife has about 26.49gb :eek: but when I look at my iCloud storage it shows 13.2gb out of 200gb used? Both phones appears to have iCloud enabled I’m struggling to know if it’s working or not?

Any advice would be great, thanks!!

Soldato
Me again :)

My wife’s has 26gb of photos going back 5 or 6 years and she wants to do some calendars/mugs etc for family gifts etc

She would like to use the family iPad to do all this but is there any way she can access her photos from that device, we have the iCloud family share enabled but it looks like you have to add each photo is there a way to add all?

cant seem to find a clear answer on the net

Soldato
Me again :)

My wife’s has 26gb of photos going back 5 or 6 years and she wants to do some calendars/mugs etc for family gifts etc

She would like to use the family iPad to do all this but is there any way she can access her photos from that device, we have the iCloud family share enabled but it looks like you have to add each photo is there a way to add all?

cant seem to find a clear answer on the net

Interesting one, i think maybe enable photo stream - but yeah apple are not good at this - she might just have to sign in on her own account, probably the fastest way of doing it. - otherwise create a shared album - and add her image choices to that, then hop on the ipad to use and upload

Soldato
Rather than start a new thread I'm giving my XS Max to my wife and work are giving me an XR (Can only use corp devices so XS Max is out) but if I sync to iCloud can I restore my XS Max to my new XR so apps in the same folder, all apps installed, settings passwords etc? This is the first time I've ever used iCloud and just want to make sure I don't miss anything when it comes to syncing

Associate

Would assume you have to retrieve all the photos before cancelling to service

Back
Top Bottom