IDE Drive has slowed down my startup

Soldato
Since installing an 80GB IDE drive to use as storage on top of my main 80GB SATA drive my login to windows has doubled in time. The second drive has nothing on it apart from music, no startup files or anything. Is there anything i can do to try improve windows login times?

Thanks

Soldato
you can edit the registry to make windows load upfaster but i wouldnt rec it unless you know what your doing in the registry!

Fast Boot Tips for WinXP

Even though WindowsXP is a fairly fast OS, I often hear people complain about how long it takes to boot up. Not to worry though, there's a simple registry tweak that can dramatically speed up your WinXP boot times!

Click the Start button then go to "Run" and type in "Regedit". Now follow this string HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> SessionManager -> MemoryManagement -> PrefetchParameters.

Once inside, find the Prefetch string and change the value from 3 to 5. Since the value's are so low, it doesn't matter if you're using Hexadecimal or Decimal.

With this little tweak, WindowsXP should load up between 5-10 seconds faster!

Associate
may also be a dogey cable i found that a crap cable attached to a cdrom made my boot up time take well over a minute aproaching 2!

removed the offending cable and all was well again :D

Back
Top Bottom