Ideal driving wheel + pedals for 6yr old ( and especially me!)

Caporegime
Based on THREE conversations on this same topic. You've never said anything to refute what I've said, it's always some vague thing about 'having tried high end wheels'.

And once again (as always) you can't answer a straight question even though I've answered yours.
I'll try again:
you seem to be disagreeing with my opinion because i had a dfgt many years ago and a fanatec set up. had quite a few different wheels. just letting people know you dont need high end gear to have fun or even compete. highend often is slower than basic wheels to like the g29.

Soldato
you seem to be disagreeing with my opinion because i had a dfgt many years ago and a fanatec set up. had quite a few different wheels. just letting people know you dont need high end gear to have fun or even compete. highend often is slower than basic wheels to like the g29.
Oh FFS... Here we go again on the Dg fails at reading comprehension merry go round that usually takes you slightly longer to get around to just repeating yourself...

I have never said that you need high end gear to have fun or compete. That's an argument that you've made up in your head.

Your argument that high end is often slower is complete horse**** though and something that's specific to you.

Caporegime
Oh FFS... Here we go again on the Dg fails at reading comprehension merry go round that usually takes you slightly longer to get around to just repeating yourself...

I have never said that you need high end gear to have fun or compete. That's an argument that you've made up in your head.

Your argument that high end is often slower is complete horse**** though and something that's specific to you.
no its actually true highend is often slower. you know why ? because of the extra feedback mechanical and most players who set top times play on very low DOR. which is hindered on higher end gear because its often more mechanical. i can do the top times have done and have had 100s of world records. on numerous games. how many have you had ? you seem experienced. would love to know ? :p

Soldato
no its actually true highend is often slower. you know why ? because of the extra feedback mechanical and most players who set top times play on very low DOR. which is hindered on higher end gear because its often more mechanical. i can do the top times have done and have had 100s of world records. on numerous games. how many have you had ? you seem experienced. would love to know ? :p
Oh, we're back to you trying to flex your rally records like I should care
:cry:

We can take it to the tarmac if you wanna play billy big dick. Last time I invited you to the AC TT that I was running and you pussied out, so let me know when you're ready to gather your nuts.

Are you still claiming that a DFGT/G29 is less 'mechanical' and 'hinders' you less than a DD wheel? Don't avoid the question like you usually do.

Caporegime
Oh, we're back to you trying to flex your rally records like I should care
:cry:

We can take it to the tarmac if you wanna play billy big dick. Last time I invited you to the AC TT that I was running and you pussied out, so let me know when you're ready to gather your nuts.

Are you still claiming that a DFGT/G29 is less 'mechanical' and 'hinders' you less than a DD wheel? Don't avoid the question like you usually do.
what you on about never played ac with you lol. also i seen your slow times you were posting . only thing i remember from you on assetto was when i was doing a top 5 time in the world and you was on about rubbing corners lol

ive had world records in dirt rally. dirt rally 2.0 , wrc games, assetto corsa , and auto clubmoblista 2 as said . whats your your times records ? was only to show you dont need a expensive top end wheel before people start suggesting it. no need to reply. just keep practicing.:D

Last edited:
Soldato
what you on about never played ac with you lol. also i seen your slow times you were posting . only thing i remember from you on assetto was when i was doing a top 5 time in the world and you was on about rubbing corners lol

ive had world records in dirt rally. dirt rally 2.0 , wrc games, assetto corsa , and auto clubmoblista 2 as said . whats your your times records ? was only to show you dont need a expensive top end wheel before people start suggesting it. no need to reply. just keep practicing.:D

I know you haven't played AC with me. That's my point, you donut :cry: Is basic reading comprehension really this much of a struggle for you?
Once again, nobody has ever said you need an expensive top end wheel to get good laptimes. Why do you keep repeating this when literally nobody is making this argument?

Anyway, if you're done trying to dick wave your way out of answering straight questions (as usual), could you answer the one I asked please?
Here, I'll quote it again for you:

ED
Oh, and for anyone bothering to read this drivel, here's a little background info in case you didn't know.

This guy spent years with a DFGT endlessly battering out rally games and setting top times. Well done.
Fanatec then send him a CSW and a couple of rims that are bigger than the one he's used to, and OH NO, his DFGT muscle memory doesn't like it and he then gets it into his head that higher end wheels make you slower.
A lot of the top alien drivers at the time also used G25's etc, so 2+2=5.

An argument could be made regarding using a larger rim in addition to the inherent damping with a belt drive wheel being slower to react vs the DFGT/G27 cogs he's used to using in his rally games, where you're constantly sawing away at the wheel.
He also thinks this applies to direct drive wheels and racing in general, so he churns out this same crap every time someone comes along and asks for advice on choosing a wheel - even when in this case, it's a guy asking for a wheel that his 6yr old can use and he might have a go on every now and then.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if I shoulda brought popcorn or protection to this little reunion… :eek:
I know right! At the risk of getting involved in this feud...
The reality is usually somewhere in the middle. I can see both sides of the argument. But lets face it yes you can be fast with a PoS G29, funny enough though the equipment isnt the big factor here, its experience, track knowledge and knowing how to use and abuse the limitations of the game engine to your advantage. But lets face it the fun factor is the main component here cheap wheels like G29/920/923 TM 248 etc whilst functional, are not all that engaging. At best a cheap wheel is a gateway drug. People will either lose interest fast as it isnt engaging or fun and get rid, or regret buying cheap and upgrade fast. The low/mid range tend to hold resale value quite well, its worth the risk of spending a little bit more on something like a T300 TS-PC/XW etc and getting a much more involving and better experience and a greater chance of them sticking with it. This isnt about speed, its about enjoyment. People starting out shouldnt be concerned about speed, they need to focus on fun and building a baseline skill set, something thats just plain easier when you have the appropriate equipment to achieve that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember finding the G25 plenty fun enough so I am sure a G923 will be exciting. I tend to fall down rabbit holes when it’s just a bit more for x and then just a bit more than y and end up getting something that’s far more than I need.

The only thing that’s put me off the Thrustmaster T300 RS is the reports of it throttling under load due to heat but I’m not sure how overblown that is and whether it ever even matters unless you’re doing endurance races :confused:

An absolute must though is plug n play capability, whilst I love fiddling with drivers and settings, I just don’t have time these days and it’s got to be easy enough for my kid to use, so something that plugs right into a PS4 and away you go is essential. If we get the bug we can do PC, ultrawide and DD in due course…

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember finding the G25 plenty fun enough so I am sure a G923 will be exciting. I tend to fall down rabbit holes when it’s just a bit more for x and then just a bit more than y and end up getting something that’s far more than I need.

The only thing that’s put me off the Thrustmaster T300 RS is the reports of it throttling under load due to heat but I’m not sure how overblown that is and whether it ever even matters unless you’re doing endurance races :confused:

An absolute must though is plug n play capability, whilst I love fiddling with drivers and settings, I just don’t have time these days and it’s got to be easy enough for my kid to use, so something that plugs right into a PS4 and away you go is essential. If we get the bug we can do PC, ultrawide and DD in due course…
T300 throttling is not something I had any issue with. I ran mine for a good few years and bought that used from a friend. I even did 24h races with it (Max 2hr stints) with no issue, its very much a plug-n-play expereince if you are not interested in tweaking.
I have for MANY years recommended the T300 as a baseline starter for sim racing, I will caveat that with an emphasis on the "Sim Racing", as you havnt actually mentioned what you want to use it for. If you are buying a wheel for Forza Horizon or such disregard what I've said, a cheap wheel will suffice.

Associate
For what it's worth, I went from a G29 to 8nm Fanatec setup with load cell.

£650 later, I was doing the Nordschleife at the exact same pace :p

Would I do it again? Probably not, I'd probably stick with a G29, but I think that's down to because I've not given myself time to adjust to the load cell brake and how heavy it is as standard without modding it...

Soldato
The reality is usually somewhere in the middle. I can see both sides of the argument. But lets face it yes you can be fast with a PoS G29, funny enough though the equipment isnt the big factor here, its experience, track knowledge and knowing how to use and abuse the limitations of the game engine to your advantage.
Both sides?
Can I just point out again that there is no argument here about whether a higher end wheel makes you quicker or not.

Once again, nobody has ever said you need an expensive top end wheel to get good laptimes. Why do you keep repeating this when literally nobody is making this argument?

What's actually being argued here is his nonsense about higher end wheels making you slower, which is based on his brief experience with a belt drive wheel vs years on a DFGT in rally games.

Soldato
Can I just point out again that there is no argument here about whether a higher end wheel makes you quicker or not.
Quicker? Not sure I agree fully. More consistent, smoother and just plain old fun? high end wheel wins all the time.
I'm just as quick on a belt driven thrustmaster as I am on my R21.

Edit, sorry I just re-read things, I get where you are coming from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I'm no quicker with a DD than I was with a T300. I am far more entertained and immersed with the DD though, and I wouldn't want to go back - Not that a T300 is a bad wheel or anything. I had a great time with it.

An argument for higher end pedals helping your pace is a good one, but there are always outliers. I know a rapid alien driver who was competing in top splits using the bog standard T300 2-pedal set :eek: He's a lot happier with his load cell pedals now though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a T300 with the two pedals, then upgraded pedals to sprints. I would say I'm probably similar speed with both but it takes me a lot longer to settle in between play sessions with the thrustmaster pedals as it's not gauged on pressure but position.

Back
Top Bottom