Ideal Mesh for long garden ?

Associate
Hi all, my partners parents are looking into having a mesh wifi to replace their virgin superhub and to hopefully get wifi down to the bottom of their garden 250ft long. House size isn't massive, but there is also a garage 1/3 of the way down into the garden. So i was thinking 3 pack mesh kit with 2 in the house and the 3rd in the garage. I have the Deco S7 AC1900 and for my needs it's ideal and works well. But is there anything better for longer distances ?.

Soldato
So the garage is about 80ft away from the house, would that be right in saying?

If you could run a network cable from the house to the garage that would be perfect. My AP is in the house and I can pick up WiFi outside about 20m away (so 65ft). Not sure if backhauling via WiFi at those distances would be optimal. You could pop a poe network switch in the garage and then hook up an external AP on the garage wall. e.g https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en-gb/prod...adio-nebulaflex-outdoor-access-point-nwa55axe

£100 for the AP.
And you can get an 8-port Zyxel POE+ switch, Nebula managed to match up with the AP if you wish (GS1915-8EP) for about £120.
Some Cat6 cable.

See what others suggest.

Associate
What do you need wifi for in garage, if it is light needs, a camera, maybe a smart tv etc, a pair of much loathed powerline devices with a wifi might sort you for ~40quid. Though I'd buy them somewhere easy to return if wiring is not suitable, same probably goes for any wifi mesh you try over that distance.

I use mesh to my garage but the distance is only 40ft, prior to that I used powerline, both were perfectly fine for my needs, YouTube mechanics and CCTV, my powerline only got me something like 50Mb but that was plenty the WAP did a couple of hundred which was unnecessary but I had the gear having bought a few cheap tri pack.

You might want to consider a point to point gigabit Wifi bridge if you want more speed and don't want to run a wire.

Don
What do you need wifi for in garage, if it is light needs, a camera, maybe a smart tv etc, a pair of much loathed powerline devices with a wifi might sort you for ~40quid. Though I'd buy them somewhere easy to return if wiring is not suitable
Outdoor garage should have it's own fusebox/be on a separate circuit so Powerline certainly won't be optimal.

So i was thinking 3 pack mesh kit with 2 in the house and the 3rd in the garage. I have the Deco S7 AC1900 and for my needs it's ideal and works well. But is there anything better for longer distances ?.
Rather than the current obsession with Mesh networks, probably just better off with a 1 indoor access point mounted centrally and 1 outdoor access point mounted on the house wall.

If you don't want Ubiquiti Unifi, then TP Link's Omada is just the upscale version of your Deco mesh, and will do everything you need (whether you run it locally or have it hosted in the cloud)

Associate
As mentioned, powerline was fine on my external garage through fuseboxes etc, no problem, that's not to say you won't have a problem every house is different, that goes for wifi solutions too though, for example a centrally mounted AP never worked in my house with its extensions, wifi never got through the exterior walls that became interior walls well enough to give me acceptable performance.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I had a similar requirement, needed to push WiFi out to the upper ends and side of garden, behind a detatched garage, as our existing Vodafone Hub (don't laugh, it actually gives decent signal inside for a single device) couldn't quite cut it.

Orded a Deco S7 set and set it up to test this morning, pleasantly surprised how well it works, the garage unit is connected wirelessly (through 2 walls) to a unit about 17 metres away and is giving 100meg or so connection.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Although writing that made me dig out the Unifi Dream Router I've had sat in a box for a few years now as it wasn't great when I tried it out originally. Seems alright and speeds haven't changed much so will keep that running and have a tinker.

Associate
OP
so we went with trying the Mercusys 3000 since finding it for a low price and easy return option if required.
So using Virgin wifi I tested it in various rooms using fast.com as a simple speed check, running it 3 times in each room and the results where
living room (where superhub 3 box is) - 280 mbps
kitchen - 136 mpbs
conservatory - 143 mbps
garage - 65 kbps (shocking)
cabin - wouldn't even pick anything up

Then after placing a halo with the superhub in living room, one in the conservatory and then the third in the garage they was getting the following speeds
living room - 293 mbps
kitchen - 196 mbps
conservatory - 290 mbps
garage - 166 mbps
cabin - 25 mbps (this bounced around the most from 25mbps upto 80 mbps) but seemed stable enough to run a firestick/mobile/laptop etc.

Overall decent upgrade in speeds in most places and hopefully fingers crossed carries on and does the job.

Back
Top Bottom