Idiots in T-shirts and shorts.

Soldato
Over the last week, I have spotted maybe 5% of bikers wearing protective gear...

I don't currently have my Ducati as it's having a engine rebuild. But, I for one would still wear my leathers in such hot weather. When my girlfriend is driving me around we both see these idiots and laugh.

What would possess someone to wear nothing on a motorbike? Anyone on here that stupid? What are your thoughts?

ags

Soldato
OP
It just angers me because yea it's great they are into bikes but if I were to talk to them about our hobby in common I would end up having a go. One slip on the road at 20mph is the start of a very long and painful skin graft to repair there now skinless arms and torso... Just stupid :( Makes me angry.

ags

edit: oh, might I also add, makes us 'smart' bikers look so bad...

Soldato
OP
I wear a high vis on my commute which now no longer takes place, also wear it when its foggy, raining and dark.

Mid day, it's more of a distraction and uncomfortable on road users eyes so I would say it is more dangerous during the daytime with the sun out.

Tbh Sagalout, I am not saying these idiots shouldn't. But you are trying to argue the most stupid point. What happens when you low slide around a roundabout after hitting something stupid like a drain at 20mph? Yea, I agree it is very remote if you are careful, but put the following scenarios in comparison.

A) kitted up = few scuffs on your ranger suit, most annoyance to scuffed fairings
B) shorts and T with trainers and no gloves = no skin on hands as you will most likely put those out to stop you, skin loss where your iron tshirt came up and your chest/black scraped along the road, arms same, legs even worse, probably knee caps gone. Not to mention the trainers that dont support your ankles so you will probably snap one.

Actually, have you ever come off? I have a couple of times, each time was very bad and I can safely say, I was not in fault, nor going silly but it was little things that made a big impact, without gear, I wouldn't be here :)

At the end of the day, anyone wearing nothing does not get a nod from me, I will simply shake my head knowing that one day, they won't be going home in one piece.

ags

Soldato
OP
interesting insight

are those that are so adament protection should be worn those that have witnessed or been the biker involved a nasty accident which wasnt the bikers fault.

I know i was - ive seen both my dad, my father in law and a friend of my dads involved in nasty smashes - neither of which were there fault and caused by half wit motorists.

I don't think so mate, I think that some people should just have enough common sense in them to realise wearing nothing on a machine that weighs a fair bit and goes like stink is just not a smart idea.

I always wear my 1 piece, still do and always will, even before being in my first off. Just seemed normal to me that the more protection the more the chance of standing up after is going to be likely.

My mate always wears Jeans, a textile armoured jacket, boots and gloves, tells me it's much easier to be social which I understand, but I still don't like it. If I want to be social, I put shorts and a tshirt in my bag for when I get to an event. See this photo of my baby at a Italian motor festival in Bristol. Notice the leathers on the right side of the bike? Took me a max of 2 mins to get changed, and the ride down was fantastic because I had my leathers on meaning I could have a bit of fun on the twisties.

24754_388691922289_509862289_382181.jpg
28475_435316623487_503668487_589576.jpg

ags

Soldato
OP
I'm not against the bikers as I am a biker my self, I am against the witless people that decide it's cool to go out in nothing on a bike.

@ Sagalout: And why on earth are you escalating the argument to the point that anyone agreeing on the point is also agreeing that bikes are stupid and should be illegal? At which point has anyone said that? Step down and re read the thread mate.

I am trying to make my point but doing so awfully so I am going to step away from this argument and simply end my point in that I think people who don't wear protection on a bike are at the same par as someone in a car without a seatbelt... Not the exact same, but something to consider.

ags

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My only point is that it's not up to you or anyone else to decide where people should draw the line with their own risk. You may draw it at riding a bike, whereas many think that is far too dangerous but it doesn't stop you does it? Some draw the line a bit higher, doesn't make anyone wrong or an idiot.

Very fair point. Can't argue that mate.

I shall reword it then, I personally think people could have a little bit more common sense when mounting upon very dangerous machines.

ags

Soldato
OP
Well, you're talking about cars, not drivers. Imagine the uproar if drivers were made to go out and buy (and wear) expensive crash helmets!. It would save a few lives for sure, but it would be awfully inconvenient. Bikes are safer than ever in terms of handling and braking (ABS is common) and traction control is filtering through now too.

Sorry mate, but you just contradicted your self entirely, you was saying a few posts up that if bikers were made to wear protective clothing (which I'm not implying) then they may as well ban motorcycles all together.

Your above post contradicts this.

Also, another major point your still missing is no one is moaning about the safety of the bikes, just the riders!!! Can you still not see this? You keep on arguing as though all of us (who are having a very good and fair argument) are saying get rid of bikes. This is NOT the argument as I love my motorbikes. Just like most in this thread.

In my eyes, the perfect biking world would be a 3 point system, if you are not wearing a upper body (torso) protective item, then you face points.

ags

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You mention leathers instead of protection equipment..

Is it your intention to make every rider get tailored up for a race suit?
have you seen the price of leathers? I ride in textiles which wont last as good as leathers, no doubt.

Does your legislation mean ill have to fork out 500-1000 on leathers?

You need to re read the thread chap, either that or you are trolling, which is why I have reported your post.

Put in a decent argument, not spark fires.

ags

Back
Top Bottom