• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If amd drop prices

Soldato
Upgrade for what? If we're talking gaming then it's irrelevant as the 5600 XT can't do anything to push past even the 3600 you have. And in that case there's no reason to upgrade CPU before GPU because the prices for CPUs are much more dynamic, and new ones come around more often, so it's best to upgrade it when you actually need it (or if you run across a crazy good deal). At the very least wait for Jan/Feb to see what the AMD v-cache CPUs end up like.

Associate
OP
OK I'll wait till next year

Reason was thinking of an upgrade was obviously I only play in 1080 and I like games like x4 and satisfactory so my thinking was a strong cpu for heavy cpu games

Soldato
*IF* lol

Not gonna post links cause mods might get mad, but a major US retailer today dropped $150usd off the 5800x, the 5800x is now priced where the 5600x was, as it always should have been

thanks Intel

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What's a worthy upgrade from a r5 3600 as a gpu upgrade is out of the question paired with a 5600xt and 32 gig 3600mhx ram
Cheers
Definitely wait. Only a few months away you will get 3d cache CPU. Go at least 8 core and you will be set for a very long time I would imagine.

*IF* lol

Not gonna post links cause mods might get mad, but a major US retailer today dropped $150usd off the 5800x
That is odd if it will be a thing world wide at every store as if they were going to do that they should have a couple of weeks ago as it would have looked much better for them in reviews…

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
5900X is a solid CPU. Prices seem to be going up though.

5900X is overkill, especially for someone coming from a 3600.

5600X is decent but for longevity the 5800X will be the sweet spot; but I'd wait to see what 3D cache looks like.

Associate
I don’t think the 5900X is overkill.

Games are barely multithreaded due to complexity and rushed implementations, and that’s unlikely to change in the near future. If you have money to burn then sure, otherwise it’s a waste.

Caporegime
Games are barely multithreaded due to complexity and rushed implementations, and that’s unlikely to change in the near future. If you have money to burn then sure, otherwise it’s a waste.

Yup, reason I sold my 5900X for loads and dropped down to the 5600x. Zero difference for gaming!

Soldato
People have sulked about the price hike of 5600 over 3600 since it launched. Would be good to see it drop a lot closer to 200.

It's a good cpu but the price has always been disappointing. Now Intel has pushed out a 6+4 core in that price range you'd think AMD would knock back the fat profit margin on the 5600.

Soldato
*IF* lol

Not gonna post links cause mods might get mad, but a major US retailer today dropped $150usd off the 5800x, the 5800x is now priced where the 5600x was, as it always should have been

thanks Intel

Probably to sell boats loads of them over a minimal time frame. A UK retailer did the same although it was to drive traffic.

Depends what games you play and graphics card. Nvidia cards can’t scale well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Depends what games you play and graphics card. Nvidia cards can’t scale well.

What exactly are they scaling? GPUs have a set amount of processing potential, so that's what they output - Nvidia and AMD cards are both pretty even on rasterization so by your logic, all GPUs can't scale well (whatever scaling means).

The only games that use more threads are heavily AI based games like CIV or AOE, and even then, you're not going to get some incredible gameplay uplift with more cores. Like I said, if you have money to burn, go for it, otherwise for any normal high-end gaming, the 5800X is more than enough.

Soldato
What exactly are they scaling? GPUs have a set amount of processing potential, so that's what they output - Nvidia and AMD cards are both pretty even on rasterization so by your logic, all GPUs can't scale well (whatever scaling means).

The only games that use more threads are heavily AI based games like CIV or AOE, and even then, you're not going to get some incredible gameplay uplift with more cores. Like I said, if you have money to burn, go for it, otherwise for any normal high-end gaming, the 5800X is more than enough.

Why don’t Nvidia scale well?

Back
Top Bottom