If i use a freesat humax box with a smart TV do i miss out on all the TV's features?

Associate
For example if i get a smart TV with netflix and all that jazz built in, but i use a humax freesat box with it instead of the built in freeviewHD, i will not be able to use all the TV's features right?

Or do i not have to use the built in freeview box?

If your using an external device via hdmi etc (freeview humax box) you will not be able to access smart functions atleast on a samsung for sure :) Mine doesn't let me

No, smart TV uses the Internet not a sat or aerial.

I have sky plugged in through hdmi and smart works fine

In fact smart should work with nothing plugged in and just an Internet connection

I think the point here is understanding the various ways the TV can receive signals and services, and then how it uses them. The ads talk about Smart TV. But if you've never had one then there's not much in the way of explanation about how those services are delivered.

As psycho sonny implied, the 'Smart' features generally refers to content delivered via an internet connection. However, you still need a connection via an aerial or external TV tuner box (Freesat/Sky/Virgin cable etc) to watch TV though. So the Smart bit adds extra functions on top of what you get via the regular way of watching TV. An internet connection on its own won't deliver a live TV equivalent of Freeview/Freesat.

Part of the question which is causing confusion is "If i use a freesat humax box with a smart TV do i miss out on all the TV's features?"

The answer depend on exactly which of the TV's features are being referred to. If it is just the Smart features then the answer is no, they won't be affected. However, if talking about things like USB recording, or subtitles, and basically anything to do with the TV's own Freeview reception facilities then the answer is Yes, of course. If there's no aerial connected then those things won't work. But you will have alternatives via the Freesat box.

I suspect though that the intention of the OP was to find out about the Smart features. It's just that the question is worded rather vaguely. :)

Yeah i was asking for my dad, hes pretty hopeless with technology and was thinking about getting a smart TV. That on its own sounds like a pretty bad idea tbh but i wasent sure if all the smart features were tied into the TV's own built in freeview box or not as he wants to continue using the humax box he has.

Anyways thanks for clearing it up :)

Back
Top Bottom