If I wanted to learn how to make wordpress themes..

Soldato
What would be the best learning path to take?

Let's assume I have no prior programming knowledge (I do, but limited). I started dabbling with codecademy.com but they don't seem to have a dedicated WordPress learning path.

Any guidance appreciated!

Soldato
HTML + CSS
Basic grasp of PHP

Away you go :)

The codex has so much information, coupled with the amount of dev blogs that focus on wordpress that if you get stuck google will find the answer. Try installing a local php environment like Wamp or Xampp, then set up a wordpress install and hack up the theme to see how it works.

Wordpress codex - Theme Development

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info! I assumed it was a mixture of those, php would be useful for plugins too I guess?

Basically I was quoted $1200 for a bespoke WP theme for a new project of mine, usually I pay freelancers to do it for me but this time I'd quite like to have a go myself.

I would sometimes be working on it at home and sometimes on my lunch break, therefore would it be better to work on a live installation and password protect it as opposed to a local php environment?

Associate
Quickest dev is local via WAMP or MAMP, saves FTPing everything, but you can dev WordPress in a subfolder of a site and then move it to be the main framework afterwards.

Start by downloading http://themble.com/bones/ it's a nice clean starter framework, we never dev our themes at work from scratch there's no point.

Take that, duplicate it and rename it, bend it, break it, start again, best way to learn.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
If you just want to do a few tweaks to an existing template (and most of your designs are going to be based off one of the built-in ones i imagine anyway) make sure you use Child Themes.

Soldato
Child themes may be a bit dangerous at this point in his learning. When a parent changes and your theme inherits those changes it can be confusing what's going on.

I'd advise starting with the latest default TwentySomething theme. Copy the entire folder and pick it to pieces.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice guys. I most likely will be heavily tweaking themes, but wanted to make sure I had a firm grasp of everything.

If I find a theme that seems suitable for tweaking, is it best to make a child theme of it then? Previously I just tweak the theme itself.

Also, anyone used http://underscores.me/ before?

Soldato
Children inherit from their parents. Great if you make a few tweaks, it means when the parent updates your child benefits from those too. Conversely if you heavily modify a theme by making a child it often ends up being broken by the parent.

I always opt for copying a theme and renaming it. That way you have a completely isolated case to play with.

Back
Top Bottom