If you had 600 quid to buy a PC for digital photography and editing?

Associate
What spec would you buy?

My dad, likes photography as a hobby and is soon to purchase a digital camera (a decent/serious one, not sure which yet).

What PC would you get with 600 quid? What would be the most important parts for a PC used for Photographic editing and word processing and internet browsing?

Thanks for any advice, I sense there are other threads like this one, but started this for it to get up to date technological responses.

Associate
OP
Matt said:
I'd definatly get a Mac :)

My parents have been using PC's for years, and i convinced them to get a Mac Mini at Christmas, and it really is great for them.

Personally i got my MacBook this week, and that's great too. The only slight issue with Intel based Mac's at the moment is that Photoshop (for example) hasn't been converted to run on them, and so is slow :(

Do not just ignore the Mac's though. If you're a student then you could get him about 15% off them too!

Are Macs generally more expensive though? I am a student, do teachers get discounts too?

Associate
OP
Matt said:
Uni students get about 15% off (i ordered over the phone, and they didn't even ask for proof!).

The base MacBook is £643 for students, however, the costs could rise if you want more RAM/external HDD, etc... But to get started it's a very good price for what you do get.

I'm not sure of iMac prices though, so you'd be best off just phoning and asking.

[edit] If you have NUS, you can go through the NUS site to the Apple Store, and it shows the discounts

I'll have a look, thanks a lot for the help.

Back
Top Bottom