IIS, PHP, MySQL

Soldato
Just for playing around with, is this viable? It just seems a more elegant solution than a WAMP setup. Dunno why it appeals to me really, though it would let me play with ASP too I guess.

Biggest worry is I cant find any info on IIS's equivilent of user_dir.

It's possible, but I would advise against it to keep life simple.

At work we've got a server with Wordpress running on Windows (IIS7.5, PHP, MySQL). The .NET devs won't touch it because it's PHP/MySQL and the PHP guys won't touch it because it's on Windows. It's good fun when it goes wrong...

At work we've got a server with Wordpress running on Windows (IIS7.5, PHP, MySQL).

I use the same set up on my local development machine. Its a doddle to set up and requires minimal configuring. It takes longer installing IIS, PHP and MySQL then the web configuring.

I also run classic ASP and different .Net frameworks and MS SQL 2012.

I'm not saying that clicking the install buttons for each part is difficult. I'm saying that actually living with running software on the platform can be a pain. Most of the PHP stuff I've had the displeasure of looking at tends to be Linux focused when it comes to documentation, support and the community, and so to my mind running it on Linux makes for a 'path of least resistance' and fewer grey hairs ;)

Back
Top Bottom