Iiyama monitors, reliable?

Associate
Hi All.

About 3 to 4 months ago, i bought an Iiyama GB2470HSU-B1 monitor. Its a 24" 1080 ips 165hz monitor. Ive been perfectly happy with it, until it went wrong. I contacted the supplier, not ocuk in this case, and they advised i contacted iiyama directly, and provided contact details. I contacted them, who turn out to be a group called repairtech. Googling them didnt fill me with confidence, but i thought id give it a try. Within a few days they had swapped out the screen for a refurnished one. All seemed well for about 4 minutes, until that one went wrong too. I raised it with them again. They dont have any more, and werent sure when they would have.

So i went back to the supplier who have now taken over and its gone back to them. Unless it miraculously fixes itself, i should have the option of a replacement or a refund.

I understand that sometimes things just go wrong, but the replacement also being faulty has caused me to wonder if this model has reliability problems. Or the stock of replacements that repairtech have available and just a bit ropey.

With the speed, the IPS screen, and the rotation into portrait (really helps for storing the monitor when im not using it) it was the perfect fit. There isnt much that does the same for the same sort of money. It was £170 when i bought it, but the price has gone up a bit. I can add a bit more, but i only use it for a bit of gaming with my mates.

So is Iiyama considered to be a good brand for monitors, compared to the likes of Asus, viewsonic, MSI and gigabyte? They have similar monitors for similar prices. Iiyama seem to just make monitors and not everything else too, which is usually a good sign. But i get so little time for gaming, its so frustrating when hardware lets you down.

Cheers guys.

Man of Honour
I've had a couple of iiyama monitors with no issues. Of course sample numbers too low to make any judgements.
Repairtech is a third-party company that deals with many monitor brands. They will ship out refurbished/repaired monitors to replace the defective monitor. Personally also don't rate repairtech highly. The once and only time I had to use them (for my AOC monitor) it took 3 swaps, 6 weeks to finally get a workable monitor...and that was after specifically asking for a brand-new replacement.

Associate
OP
Yeah ive read of similar experiences. Having asked the suppier, they said that most monitor brands are dealt with directly for Warranty issues. You can see which brands repairtech cover, but would the other brands be any better?

Associate
Everyone at my work have Iiyama monitors (so 30+ in total) and I have one at home as well (I have X2483HSU and at least half of the office supply is this one). I've never heard anybody have issues with them or complaining too much, so I cannot say much about the Iiyama's customer service. So it is very likely that you have "problematic" model.
In my opinion Iiyama is a good brand (and considered as such in my circles) for office supplies. Never tried their "gaming" range, so maybe that is the part they are lacking in. Personally, if I would be buying gaming monitor I would choose from well known brands in this sector like Asus, Acer or AOC.

Associate
OP
As a general monitor brand, they seem good. And have been at it for a long time. I do wonder why there are very few proper technical reviews of the gaming models, compared to similar models from asus, gigabyte and AOC. Perhaps they are a bit late to the party so therefore its less newsworthy. Or maybe there not "gaming" enough...

Soldato
Iiyama were a premium CRT brand. Their 17" and 22" CRTs were legendary. I have little experience of their LCDs: they seem to be behind the curve.

Associate
Iiyama are a solid product. They're often not as flashy as other brands but they're slowly catching up in terms of consumer trends. We have a number of their monitors at work (cheeap 1080p ones as well as IPS 1440p) and they've lasted fine for years.

Associate
I had a 27” iiyama for over 5 years and never had a problem with it, But if I received 2 faulty monitors id be considering getting a refund and going with another brand.

Associate
They used to be the best back in the days of CRTs, since TFT though they have been pretty mediocre in my opinion.

In terms of reliability though they don't seem to have a problem, my workplace use a LOT of them (thousands) and we don't see many failures.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I think if i can get a refund i will. i'm leaning toward the AOC 24G2U, which gets universally great reviews... still Repairtech, but hopefully i wont have an issue. there must be millions of them about too so they should have plenty to swap out if need be. Alternatives seem to be the Asus VQ249Q, the viewsonic XG2405 for a similar price, or the BENQ EX2510 which has the AU optronics panel rather than the Panda panel that the 23.8" screens seem to have. the Benq is only 2 year warranty and doesnt rotate 90° though, which is handy for storgae when i'm not using it.

Associate
OP
To update.

The monitor is still with the supplier. They are glacially slow. Took forever to get a response and now they reckon there is nothing wrong with it. Offer of a refund has disappeared. Ive been without a monitor now for 3 weeks. I wish id never bought the thing now. If they send it back to me ill be just waiting for it to go wrong. Tempted to try a section 75 on the credit card as im so fed up with this now.

Back
Top Bottom