Ikea worktops - strong enough for monitor stand?

Associate
Hi there,

I'm looking at Ikea worktops, and particularily their Laminate/ Acrylic worktops.

Now I know some of their very cheap desks are made from some honeycomb paper mesh thing - are the Ikea Laminate/ Acrylic worktops more solid? I don't need solid wood, but something like MDF. They say they are particle board which looks solid enough.

Using a 30cm wide strip of the 2.8cm thick Ekbacken concrete effect worktop on 4 Capita brackets as a monitor shelf on top of another Ekbacken concrete effect worktop as my normal desk.

Holding 3 x 20-27" screens and assorted other gubbins. Perfectly fine. I did alternate the Capita brackets though. Either end are pointing forward, in the middle pointing backwards.

Hi there,

I'm looking at Ikea worktops, and particularily their Laminate/ Acrylic worktops.

Now I know some of their very cheap desks are made from some honeycomb paper mesh thing - are the Ikea Laminate/ Acrylic worktops more solid? I don't need solid wood, but something like MDF. They say they are particle board which looks solid enough.

Have a play around with the sagulator, it'll tell you everything you need to know in terms of whether the material is suitable for the size of desk and weight you'll put on it.

There's loads of different options for particleboard at the bottom of the materials list.

https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

I recently got a BARKABODA worktop from IKEA which is 3mm of wood vaneer and then a composite core. This things feels very solid, and I wouldnt really have guessed it wasn't solid oak apart from the price and perhaps the weight.

The 1860mm version is ~27kg when unboxed and personally I've not noticed any sag what so ever. The instruction book recommends no more than an 800mm unsupported span distance (e.g. between kitchen units or drawer sets) but I've got it spanning 850mm with 1x HILVER leg supporting the rear of the gap where one of my screens sits (an additional £13).

There is no sag or flex in this at all.

Highly recommend the worktops for sure. Much higher quality than the IKEA desktops that feel very very light.

Desk photo for reference:
SwzyMTd.png

(Please ignore the cable mess, the photo doesn't show the HILVER leg that was added afterwards)

Last edited:
Similar to above, but have a 2.4m Karlby worktop. Main seating position has a 1m span, no additional support though and haven't had an issue. Had it set up around 4 years with a monitor stand clamped to middle of the span.

LTVcIeE.jpg

Slightly different setup since moving house a few months back and now have the centre monitor wall mounted.

axrr6GB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom