Illuminating CD loading tray?

Associate
Before I start on this little project I wanted to check if such thing has been already invented. Basically what I want is to illuminate the loading tray of the CD drive when it is opened. It would be very usefull for me as my PC is under my desk and the lights are often switched off so I can't see properly where I'm loading the CD and don't want to break this flimsy loading tray in the process.
Has anyone seen or heard of such thing? It will make it easier if I can just copy the design :)
I came up with a simple mechanism to switch on a super bright white LED when the CD drive is opened. I'll show it off when I build it and make it work :)

Associate
OP
The LDR idea is quite nice but as you said there is not much space around the CD-Rom drive. I was thinking about using a mechanical switch which will be activated by the Lian LI CD bezel rather than the CD loading tray. There will be no modification to the CD drive itself. The LED with the switch unit will sit on the top of the CD drive, when the bezel is used the drive is pushed further back into the case and there is a gap between it and the case where the LED can be placed. I haven't seen any appriopriate switches which can be used so I think it will be a custom made switch. The LianLi bezel does not have much force in that spring in order for it to push a normal switch on/off.

Longer bank holiday is coming up so it will keep me busy.

Associate
OP
Here is a prototype of the switch that I will use. Whe the CD tray is closed the Lian Li CD bezel door will push on the metal pin which will bend backwards and will not be making contact with the vertical pin. When the CD door is open the wire will come forward to make contact and current will flow through. This switch will be on the top of the CD drive unit. I've tested the switch and it works fine. Just need to get a resistor for the LED as it will be powered from the PSU at 12V.

dscf3238copy0cw.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok, i've finished my little project today. I've decided to go for 3 green oval shaped LEDs instead of the white ones. They only switch on when the CD loading tray is opened. Here are a few pics. I havent decided yet whether to allow the LEDs to shine through the mesh of the front of the case or cover them up so that only the tray is illuminated.

This is a picture of the LEDs before its attached into position. I've used black Gaffa tape to cover all the wires and stick it to the CD Drive unit.

dscf32395wy.jpg

Here is a picture of it already installed and in use

dscf32422us.jpg

dscf32416cq.jpg

Associate
OP
No. the LEDs are only on when the CD tray is opened. There is simple custom made switch attached to the lower right hand corner in the first picture.

Associate
OP
I'm thinking of doing a green UV setup inside the case so I went for the green ones. Originally I wanted white ones but the shop I bought them from only had one left of the white LEDs I wanted.

Associate
OP
Mark A said:
How did you know what sort of resistor to use?, is there some sort of formula for working it out?.

Mark

I just google for 'LED resistor calculator' and there were many pages which within a few seconds do the maths and tell you what you need.

Tosk said:
sweet job there Day03 :)

hmm could you tell me a list of components that are needed to do this mod? :)
please ^_^

maybe doing a guide for us noobies would be nice as well :p

There are not too many components that are needed. They are LEDs (as many as you want), 1x resistor, this plate for soldering your components together (sorry but I don't know what's called), some wire and a male molex plug. And a soldering gun :)
I've made my own switch which works well but you can try some kind of ready made micro switch.

Associate
OP
welshtom said:
If you buy 12v LED's you wont need a resistor

If you put all the LEDs in series and their total forward voltage is 12V then you don't need a resistor. Different LEDs have different voltages usually ranging from 2V to 5v. Blue and white LEDs usually require 4-5V. If you put too many in a series and the total voltage is above 12V then they will not shine as bright.

Associate
OP
Jakal91 said:
Wow, that looks a lot better than i thought it would. I think you should stop the led's shining through the mesh though.

I think that's what I will do. then there will be this cool glow instead of the bright light shining in your eyes.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure why none of the manyfacturers have ever done this. Other cool idea would be to make the loading tray out of clear transparent plastic and when it's lit from inside the CD unit the light will travel through the plastic and illuminate it.

Back
Top Bottom