I'm going RAID5......need advice!

Associate
Hi fellow OcUK'ers, need some advice please.

I need a RAID5 NAS and have been looking at a Synology DS409 but I need recommendations for the best SATA-II hard drives to use.

I cannot affored RAID level drives so I was thinking of the Samsung 1.5TB eco drive. Has anyone got some of these in a RAID array?

I've heard that the Western Digital greenpower drives are no good in external NAS boxes because of a problem with load cycle count?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about the performance of the drives too much as the controller will likely be the bottleneck in that thing.

Look more at heat, noise, reliability and power usage.

Associate
I have 4 1 TB samsung F1 drives in RAID 5, they are slower on the Intel controller than most, but still manage a solid 60MB/s write. I read a article that said most RAID cards can do much better than this on the same drive. I would say the 5400RPM speed is going to affect them.

Associate
I run the 1Tb WD Green Power drives in a Drobo Pro, although they have been tested and approved by Data Robotics.

In general however I believe that both WD and Seagate suggest avoid RAIDing there desktop drives period these days. Not sure if just "spend more with us" or an actual real issue.

Back
Top Bottom