I'm in need of some advice on which MacBook

Associate
My daughter would like MacBook for college. She is doing a film and TV production course where she says Macs are an industry standard. I think she is using Final cut pro software atm. I have no experience with Apple so would be grateful for any advice. I'll give her a budget of £2000. She is coming from an Hp Envy which was stood on recently and is one lid closure from failure. Thanks

Commissario
Base model 14” MacBook Pro is £2149 before Education discount so should be within budget. Or if she wants something a bit smaller and lighter then it’s worth looking at the 13” M2 MacBook Air where you can increase the base memory to 16Gb and the SSD up to 1Tb and be well within budget.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Cheers.

If she was to put a few quid towards it herself what would you recommend.

14" MacBook Pro via education store is my recommendation. You also get £130 Apple gift card via the education store right now when buying the 14 MBP.

She could spend an extra £180 to bump the storage up to 1TB. That would be useful for videos.

Screenshot-20230902-163433.png

Commissario
Maybe worth going to your local Apple Store or other similar store and have a play around.
Definitely worth doing and it's exactly what I did when I was considering going from an M1 MBA to a 14" MBP. The additional weight of the MBP over the MBA was enough reason for me not to do it. The MBA weighs 1.24 kg (2.7lb) and the MBP weighs 1.60 kg (3.5lb) which doesn't sound much but it's quite a noticeable difference in feel.

It looks like the MBA also gives a £130 voucher in the back to school promo.

An 8/8/16/1Tb MBA is £1749
An 8/10/16/1Tb MBA is £1849

These are normal prices so not including the educational discount. What are they including the discount, @LiE?

Commissario
The only thing to consider is the MBA will get hot on long video exports compared to the Pro that has a fan.
I ran about five hours of Handbrake encodes this week which thrashed it hard (encoding at about 350fps) and it was just warm to the touch. All CPUs were pegged in activity monitor.

Reactions: LiE

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I ran about five hours of Handbrake encodes this week which thrashed it hard (encoding at about 350fps) and it was just warm to the touch. All CPUs were pegged in activity monitor.

Yea to be fair the hardware encoders do the heavy lifting so CPU and GPU aren't maxed.

Back
Top Bottom