I'm tempted to restart the competitions, discuss

Caporegime
Morning all,

Ok here are my thoughts on it.

The competitions run every month from the 1st to the last day of the month.

Each image is judged on 3 factors (yet to be decided)

The difference is that the images go down to the public vote, I'm happy to take ownership of this. Votes are only valid from people who enter, so in order to take part you must also contribute to the competition with a photo.

Images get posted in a designated thread with all associated EXIF and then that person must email me with their scores on other peoples images, you are not allowed to score your own image, funnily enough that would be a bit unfair :p

Any other feedback on other images is welcome, we are all here to learn.

In the first week of each month I collate the scores, opinions and comments and post a thread with the winner and the next months subject.

Thoughts? This is something I just came up with while walking to the train, its open to comments and opinions.

Jake

Caporegime
OP
Ok, good feedback thus far.

So, the 3 categories to judge on, we could use the existing ones from the previous competition, so:

• Impact
  • Theme Relevance
  • Technical

Suggestions to changes for this welcome.

Each one rated from 1-10.

Going on from this everyone would need to submit their scores to me within the first 5 days of the following month ready for the results to be posted by the end of the first week. :)

Sounding good?

Caporegime
OP
Good idea Jake, I like the idea of score weighting and I like to idea of another comp so I'm deffo in!

We could always ask for a simple monthly poll vote if the scoring gets to complicated (AvForums operate something similar and it works quite well) but lets just get something moving and anything that could bring extra traffic in here is a good thing.

Problem with the poll is that any Tom, Dick and Harry could click it making the scores worthless. :)

Caporegime
OP
I think the competitions should have it's own sub forum purely because they get lost easily in here.. Or maybe just latest entries and results sticky'ed?

I can offer a passing Don favours of a specific nature to make them stickied :)

Problem with the email is it might put people off voting, or make it so people forget. I think the poll would be better personally.

People will enter knowing what is expected of them. I will email a reminder to them all when its due etc.

Caporegime
OP
Interesting opinions.

While I struggle to find time these days I don't think producing 1 photo a month is unreasonable. If you don't have the time, don't enter, there is zero pressure. Remember this is supposed to be for fun! :)

I'm having an operation at the end of Feb, which if I don't enter one before then I just won't and will watch the others enter, I certainly wont be allowed to pick up a camera during recovery as it will be too heavy so March will probably be a write off as well!

Keeping themes regular, in my opinion is a good way keeping it fresh and keeping people motivated.

I would like a website where people could submit their votes and comments but I quite simply don't have the time to set something up. A poll wouldn't work. It would get trolled by folks from GD inevitably.

Also if people do not like the three categories for the photos to be judged on then please make some alternative suggestions, I would like to hear them :) and personally the 3 original ones made perfect sense to me.

I'm confident we can find a solution that fits most people, it'll just require a bit of legwork to get the momentum going.

Caporegime
OP
Ok, how about this as a starting format:

The all new and improved OcUK Photo Comp - Season 1: Round 1 - "Landscapes" DISCUSSION

Theme: Landscapes

Chosen by: Phate

Closing date: Midnight Thursday February 28th 2013

Please post all discussion for the current competition in this thread and keep entries in the ENTRIES thread.
DO NOT post any entries in this thread!

Judges: To judge you must enter.

This competition is open to everyone.

RULES
-----

Rules must be followed. Failure to follow one or more rules will result in disqualification for the current round.

* One image per entrant (may be a montage consisting of two or more photos).
* If a montage is entered, all photos in the image will be judged on their relevance to each other as well as the theme.
* Photos must be posted in or linked to this thread for consideration.
* Photos must not exceed the image size rule. (Longest side of 1280px recommended)
* Photos must be submitted in the .jpg file format.
* Photos must have been taken on or after February 1st, 2013. Invalid EXIF dates must be declared.
* Photos must be available for viewing in this thread until the competition winner has been announced.
* Photos must be your own work unless posting on behalf of someone else. If this is the case it should be stated in your post.

* Photographers must post their make and model unless it is provided in the EXIF Information.
* Photographers retain full copyright to their entries, so you must contact them before using their entries.

* The winner of each round will choose the theme for the next round.

Scoring
---------------
Each image can receive upto 30 points, 10 points per category. Each category will be weighted individually.

* Technical ( 1 - 10 )

* Theme Relevance ( 1 - 10 )

* Impact ( 1 - 10 )

While each category is self explanatory, here are some rough examples for each one.

Technical: Is the photo in focus? has the rule of thirds been applied?
Theme Relevance: If the theme is Landscapes and you post a macro photo then don't expect to receive many points :p
Impact: Did you look at it and go 'whoa!' or did you scroll over it without a seconds thought?

The all new and improved OcUK Photo Comp - Season 1: Round 1 - "Landscapes" ENTRIES

Theme: Circles

Chosen by: Phate

Closing date: Midnight Thursday February 28th 2013

Please post all entries for the current competition in this thread and keep discussion in the DISCUSSION thread.

Judges: To Judge you must enter.

This competition is open to everyone.

RULES
-----

Rules must be followed. Failure to follow one or more rules will result in disqualification for the current round.

* One image per entrant (may be a montage consisting of two or more photos).
* If a montage is entered, all photos in the image will be judged on their relevance to each other as well as the theme.
* Photos must be posted in or linked to this thread for consideration.
* Photos must not exceed the image size rule. (Longest side of 1280px recommended)
* Photos must be submitted in the .jpg file format.
* Photos must have been taken on or after February 1st, 2013. Invalid EXIF dates must be declared.
* Photos must be available for viewing in this thread until the competition winner has been announced.
* Photos must be your own work unless posting on behalf of someone else. If this is the case it should be stated in your post.

* Photographers must post their make and model unless it is provided in the EXIF Information.
* Photographers retain full copyright to their entries, so you must contact them before using their entries.
* The winner of each round will choose the theme for the next round.
* All photos when entered must have an email address posted with it so I can contact you for judging.
* Judging submissions will be required by the first friday of each month.
* The winner will be announced at the end of that week or when all marks have been submitted, whichever is first.
* The winner will pick the next months theme.
* Scores to be submitted to [email protected]

Scoring
---------------
Each image can receive upto 30 points, 10 points per category. Each category will be weighted individually.

* Technical ( 1 - 10 )

* Theme Relevance ( 1 - 10 )

* Impact ( 1 - 10 )

While each category is self explanatory, here are some rough examples for each one.

Technical: Is the photo in focus? has the rule of thirds been applied?
Theme Relevance: If the theme is Landscapes and you post a macro photo then don't expect to receive many points :p
Impact: Did you look at it and go 'whoa!' or did you scroll over it without a seconds thought?

Copied obviously from the previous threads, and edited where appropriate.

So to confirm.

Lets say we start in Feb, I'll pick a theme. End date is the 28th, judges/entrants submit their scores by the first Friday, March 7th. Winner picks a theme for Aprils competition, and we go on from there.

I can also submit a theme for March to get us in the motions.

Thoughts?

Caporegime
OP
I'm just starting in Photography and this seems a great idea. It will give me some ideas and inspiration.

If there's anything i can do to help, drop me a note :)

edit i was wondering if this could be released.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18484679

I imagnie you can unsticky that thread, yes. :)

AH - Going off my last question, is it possible to create a poll where only specific users can vote but everyone can view the results?

Caporegime
OP
If we do get this going, I'm very happy to continue hosting / maintaining the results website.

Phate: if you want to put it entirely to the public vote, this could be automated through the site. People could also use that to submit entries etc. Let me know - can all be sorted out.

Growse, that sounds good. I'll send you an email regarding this.

----------

Annnywhooo, so I have had a quick look through the thread, reading mostly all of it and caught up (mostly)

And I did like this one

This is my idea. It's a bit radical so you might not like it.

A season is made up of three rounds. The deadline for each round is the end of each month.
Round 1 - Themed round
Round 2 - Themed round
Round 3 - Free for all

The theme is a suitably generic theme to encompass multiple styles.
The winner of round 1 in the first season chooses the theme for round 1 in the second season
The winner of round 2 in the first season chooses the theme for round 2 in the second season

Photos can be taken from any point after the theme is chosen until the deadline for that round. Free for all can be taken from any time after the start of the season. So effectively you get 2 1/2 to 3 months for each round.

For each round, a public poll is started (possibly in GD) which is open for everyone to vote on.
Additionally, everyone who took part in the competition is encouraged to score other entries. This is not mandatory but if it is done, all other entries must be scored, including some comment as to why. Each user gives each photo two scores out of 10: one for Theme, one for Overall Impact & Quality

For the free for all round there is no theme score so everyone gets 10 for every vote (this has the effect of weighting the scores slighly in favour of the free for all round).

Voting is closed after a week.

At the end of each round there are three possible 'winners':
'People's Choice' Award
'Participant's Choice' Award based on the average total score given by other participants
Best overall, with some combination of the vote and the scores (aka strictly come photography) yet to be thought up.

At the end of the season, the winner for each category is the user with the best score from their two best rounds.

Realistically I don't think anonimity will work out due to watermarks etc. Honesty is the best policy, man.

This is probably quite complicated to administer and may be a little complicated to understand, it would probably need a dedicated mini-site which tells you exactly what's going on and all the deadlines at the current point in time.

This could also be changed to four rounds with three themed rounds, one or the other.

Thank you Zogger.

Couple of changes though. Themes for Round 1 and 2 are pre-agreed by public vote, rather than winners, because for example if I win Round 1, and I have a wedding during Round 2, I'm potentially going to pick something relative to that :p - So it avoids any biased themes.

What do people think? We don't have to start this in Feb, we could spend February putting themes to public vote and organising the finer details, Growse to get the website up and running. It could also have the option of entering but not having to necessarily stick to the theme, it was mentioned that you could pick if your photo is relative to it or not, this could contribute to the scoring etc. Also it gives people the freedom to either go for the theme or enter in something that just happen to like.

Back
Top Bottom