I'm thinking of building an MMO RTS game...

Associate
But cant for the life of me decide if I should make this in php(which means i need to teach myself this) or write it in java.

What are peoples thoughts on the pro's/cons between the two?

Associate
OP
Oh don't worry...

I'm turning to freelance work, and this will be my hobby between jobs to sharpen my skills.

I've written/hosted a poker site before, albeit the graphics weren't great, it could handle Omaha/Holdem stt and sit n gos. It was never good enough to take on sites like full tilt/poker stars though.

I have a spare server, so the rough plan is to have the logic based in SQL with a web/java interface. People would own/build/attack and conquer villages with their armies. I'm not sure but I think Middle Ages would be best. If your town was high in the mountains, then you would get better perks mining ore, in the plains you could support a larger population, and at the seaside you would have a higher food production and faster transport between other fishing towns.

Follow my drift? I'm not sure on the next part but it would be pretty cool if you could send your army anywhere, as long as you had a clear transport route to provide supplies, otherwise men would start to die and so on. Not so sure on how real I should make this, but would be cool if it kept to Britain having a good navy, French cavalry and so on - more regional perks.

This way there could then be a lot to the game, without myself having to worry too much about the graphics.

I would build an in game tribe/communication system as well. Would also be pretty cool if it was open source for people to contribute to its development if/when it becomes up and running but I like the idea of creative control.

Associate
OP
Sounds pretty cool. What's your reasoning behind doing the logic in SQL?

The reasoning behind sql is that it should be easily scalable without too much strain on the server and that I should be able to create various virtual worlds running on the same logic with different variations on aspects of the game.

I agree it will take a while to implement, but I think its a good project to complete whilst I am between jobs.

Back
Top Bottom