I'm undecided on a chair upgrade

Man of Honour
I've been using a Markus for years now. It's fine, but I'm thinking about an upgrade.

I want a chair that will work well as a desk chair and also as a big comfy armchair.

At the very least, the back must be long enough to support my head when I'm leaning back watching video. I'm 5'10, so that's a fair bit of chair back. The Markus is enough, but I've seen plenty of "high back" chairs that are not high enough.

I'd like armrests that can be adjusted in height. The ones on the Markus are slightly too high for me and they're not movable. I seem to have relatively long arms.

I'd like a lot of padding on the armrests. I rest my right arm on the armrest when using a mouse and the padding on the Markus was nowhere near enough because my elbows are too pointy :) I ended up taping a load of bubble wrap to the armrest, which works well enough.

Budget is whatever I can talk myself into. Probably ~£400 if the chair is going to last long enough for me to think of it in terms of cost per year of use and see that as low enough and see it as being worth the extra cost over a cheaper chair. Of course I'd rather pay as little as possible but if it's worth the money I'll pay it.

I don't care what it looks like. If there's a model in pus yellow with faeces bown irregular splotches on it and that one is 10% cheaper than a sane colour scheme, I'll buy that one. If the whole chair looks like a chav's dream car seat complete with bean tin exhausts, I don't care. I'm solely concerned with functionality, durability and price. Appearance is of no importance to me.

I very much like the mesh back of the Markus. It's just the job for ventilation. A solid foam and fake leather back strikes me as being rather hot. Or am I wrong about that?

I'm not seeing anything that leaps out as "yes, that's exactly what I want". Noblechairs Hero seems closest, but the armrest padding doesn't look like enough for my pointy elbows and the back is foam and fake leather.

Associate
I've been using a Markus for years now. It's fine, but I'm thinking about an upgrade.

I want a chair that will work well as a desk chair and also as a big comfy armchair.

At the very least, the back must be long enough to support my head when I'm leaning back watching video. I'm 5'10, so that's a fair bit of chair back. The Markus is enough, but I've seen plenty of "high back" chairs that are not high enough.

I'd like armrests that can be adjusted in height. The ones on the Markus are slightly too high for me and they're not movable. I seem to have relatively long arms.

I'd like a lot of padding on the armrests. I rest my right arm on the armrest when using a mouse and the padding on the Markus was nowhere near enough because my elbows are too pointy :) I ended up taping a load of bubble wrap to the armrest, which works well enough.

Budget is whatever I can talk myself into. Probably ~£400 if the chair is going to last long enough for me to think of it in terms of cost per year of use and see that as low enough and see it as being worth the extra cost over a cheaper chair. Of course I'd rather pay as little as possible but if it's worth the money I'll pay it.

I don't care what it looks like. If there's a model in pus yellow with faeces bown irregular splotches on it and that one is 10% cheaper than a sane colour scheme, I'll buy that one. If the whole chair looks like a chav's dream car seat complete with bean tin exhausts, I don't care. I'm solely concerned with functionality, durability and price. Appearance is of no importance to me.

I very much like the mesh back of the Markus. It's just the job for ventilation. A solid foam and fake leather back strikes me as being rather hot. Or am I wrong about that?

I'm not seeing anything that leaps out as "yes, that's exactly what I want". Noblechairs Hero seems closest, but the armrest padding doesn't look like enough for my pointy elbows and the back is foam and fake leather.

Can't help loads but my input from owning a Noblechairs Epic:

Armrests are fine, I appreciate they aren't soft foam or anything but feel comfortable for extended periods.
Ventilation wise - don't have any issues getting too hot again for extended periods of time
It is quite a firm chair, I think the Hero is possibly a little less firm but I would recommend trying one out if you can

I'm happy with the chair and the leaning back aspect you mention I often utilise. I will happily replace it with another Noblechairs one at the end of its lifespan.

Associate
The hero is excellent. Is firm, but not uncomfortable.
Loads is adjustments, and paired to the too expensive footrest is perfect. Shame the price of the footrest. Too many people won't even think about them considering their price. I did, bought one, don't regret, but it's expensive.
The chair is solid, you can feel its weight, and after long gaming sessions or watching movies, no pain.

Back
Top Bottom