iMac Memory - Where to shove it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ok, I wonder if anyone can help me, seeing as Google couldn't...

I have an iMac G5 (Rev B), currently with 512MB RAM installed internally, and additionally another 512MB on the underside slot - thusly, making up 1GB total (obviously).
Ok... so I followed the installation guide in the manual the day I had the Mac, and now it's come to my attention that there are TWO slots internally (for memory), which can accommodate 2GB total.

I may upgrade the memory in the coming months, but the real question here is; "Would it be better to install the additional memory stick internally, alongside the original RAM?"

If anyone has done this, then could they let me know if they've noticed a speed increase (or not)

Thanks,

EVH

Man of Honour
Soldato
Do Rev. A iMacs have the underside slots? I've a Rev A G5 and it just has the two standard 184 pin DIMM slots at the edge halfway up the right-hand side as far as I can see. It's a 1.8 GHz 17 incher.

My iLamp (G4 iMac, unknown revision) has one DIMM slot for PC133 deep inside the base and another for a SODIMM under an easily accessed panel under the base. To get at the one inside takes quite a bit of wrangling and a tube of thermal compund becasue the way the CPU cooler works. I can't see a difference made between which slots contain what. It all seems to be about the same speed when the same amount of RAM is installed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato

That's revision A on the left and revision B on the right. Where is the secondary DIMM slot?

It occurrs to me that you may have meant G4 and mistyped. If that's the case I don't think you'd see any preceptable difference between the two locations and form factors for the memory.

EDIT: Oops, sorry about the double post. :o

EDIT2: Upon a second look it seems that later revision G5s used DDR2. The site I'm seeing (competitor) says that it can take up to 2560 MiB. That would mean that it would take a DIMM in each of the two main slots and a third 512 MiB one in the seconday location. Interesting, at least to me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
G5 revision Bs (with iSight cams) take memory in a slot at the bottom, and that's it. The cases aren't even meant to be taken apart.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Ahh cool, thanks for clearing that up :)

I didn't mis type.. I think i'd seen so many different board layout pictures last night I pancied. Glad to know I won't have to rip the iMac apart!

Thanks all,

EVH

Back
Top Bottom