iMac Pro/i9 MBP/2018 Mac Mini Comparative Benchmarks

Soldato
Thought you may be interested in this - ran the same benchmarks on my kit.

2018-11-13Benchmarks.png

Commissario
That new Mac mini is quite impressive when it comes to the CPU but does show that the built in graphics are poor. This is my 2017 iMac i7/40Gb RAM.

GeekBench 4
Single Core - 5,625
Multi Core - 18,730
OpenCL - 133,743

Cinebench
CPU - 812
OpenGL - 114.17

Soldato
OP
It's a properly impressive piece of kit tbh, it's running all of my lab stuff now, and very well too. Makes me laugh a bit when people say the SB2 is fast - it simply isn't. If you want a laugh on one of my youtube vids you can see me do a video conversion on the Surface Book 2, and at the same time do the video conversion on my Macbook Pro in MacOS, run Windows in Parallels *AND* convert the video in Windows on the MBP.

It finished both of them way quicker than the SB2. Still, not a terrible machine in its own way, just wouldn't say it's fast!

EDITed to add, aha, not any more ;) Actually do use this stuff, they're not vanity toys. Honest.

Man of Honour
It's a properly impressive piece of kit tbh, it's running all of my lab stuff now, and very well too. Makes me laugh a bit when people say the SB2 is fast - it simply isn't. If you want a laugh on one of my youtube vids you can see me do a video conversion on the Surface Book 2, and at the same time do the video conversion on my Macbook Pro in MacOS, run Windows in Parallels *AND* convert the video in Windows on the MBP.
Haha.

Soldato
It finished both of them way quicker than the SB2. Still, not a terrible machine in its own way, just wouldn't say it's fast!

A 6c/12t 45w TDP CPU being faster than a 4c/8t 15w TDP CPU. It was hardly worth the effort in comparison, it's like saying my AMG C63s is faster than your C220d.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I know?! That was kind of my point though.

People banging on about how expensive MBPs are, and how powerful the SB2 is...and yet my 2017 MBP was both cheaper than and wiped the floor with the SB2.

Soldato
Yes, I know?! That was kind of my point though.

People banging on about how expensive MBPs are, and how powerful the SB2 is...and yet my 2017 MBP was both cheaper than and wiped the floor with the SB2.

It just proves people don't bother to look at the base hardware, or are just plain stupid. A tablet PC with a keyboard, Vs a dedicated performance notebook/laptop.

I suppose people's hardware idiocy keeps me in a job though. :p

Soldato
OP
Yup! It was a follow up to some stupid on Facebook. Guy asking for something to process video in a car park (think car racing, nothing dodgy, honest!). It was all OMG SB2 is so much faster than a MBP for video. Derp.

I quite like the SB2 and it's become my meeting buddy, and sometimes in front of the telly, but it's an Office productivity type device really, hardly powerful. Trying to do video on it when you're used to something more powerful is just painful.

I took it to Australia on my most recent couple of week trip - simply gave up editing video on it.

Soldato
I'm seriously considering the very offer today, £650 for the new 2018 Mac Mini i3 (quad core 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd).
Looks like the perfect mac os machine to me......and have the option to upgrade the ram and ssd later if needed.

Mmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom