Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
Typing I find it nicer. It's a membrane based keyboard but the key travel is much like the Surface Book and Apple Pro keyboards. Really nice. I like the silent keys and it's easier to maintain as well.

Gaming wise I'm seeing no difference. Kind of expected though as Logitech's RF system has always been excellent for gaming in their higher end devices.

Battery life is the main thing here. I bought this keyboard ages ago, still on the same batteries, and the battery capacity still shows as 'Full' which is quite remarkable considering I bought it on September 15th.

Agreed here. The only downside I can think of is because the keycaps are made of that typical cheapy material, all my most used keys are already shiny after only 5 months or so. Ah well.

Still a great keyboard.

Thanks.

Will give it a shot and if I don't like it, back it goes! Will miss back lighting but tbh, don't really need it.

Soldato
I also dislike the way you pay by card in the States, they take your card away to swipe then bring it back for you to sign. I swear that's why I had card fraud there last time I went. It is a credit card so its not my money but still bloody annoying.
That's because we use chip and pin in Europe whereas they use swipe and pin, which isn't supported by our cards so they have to do ours ye olde style.

Associate
It can work out cheaper withdrawing from a cash machine than using a currency exchange place.

It's always cheaper. I have been on plenty of extended international trips to most of the continents over the last few years and never taken any cash with me. Just use Halifax Clarity/Monzo/Starling/Caxton to get cash when I arrive at the airport.

Check the fees + commission vs Visa/MC rate from an ATM and you can't really go wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which is all well and good until you go somewhere and you card decides it is not going to work for whatever reason, be it technical compatibility or banking **** up.

Personally I take a reasonable amount of cash with me and have a card with me too but the cash is enough if the card doesn't work for some reason

Soldato
That's because we use chip and pin in Europe whereas they use swipe and pin, which isn't supported by our cards so they have to do ours ye olde style.

What confuses me about using a card in the USA is that the process varies depending which shop you're in. I was in New York last month and some places used chip and pin, some used contactless, some used swipe and pin and some used swipe and sign.

Someone tried to tell me that it was entirely dependant on the card I'm using but I was using the same card at every place.

Man of Honour
What confuses me about using a card in the USA is that the process varies depending which shop you're in. I was in New York last month and some places used chip and pin, some used contactless, some used swipe and pin and some used swipe and sign.

Someone tried to tell me that it was entirely dependant on the card I'm using but I was using the same card at every place.

US card readers are massively behind the UK & Europe - they've been swipe and signing for ages and have struggled to adopt chip and pin let alone contactless. Support is usually down to the badly integrated acquirer back end

Soldato
Which is all well and good until you go somewhere and you card decides it is not going to work for whatever reason, be it technical compatibility or banking **** up.

Personally I take a reasonable amount of cash with me and have a card with me too but the cash is enough if the card doesn't work for some reason

That's pretty rare, especially in developed countries. Having banking glitches etc where transactions can't be processed can cause some minor damage to the economy, so banks are pretty swift to resolve those problems.

What's your contingency plan in the UK if your card decides "it's not going to work for whatever reason"? Do you keep a stash of cash at home?

Soldato
I do have some cash which, given my normal outgoings, would last me about a week. But I also have multiple cards from different banks.

Last time I was away I was in the situation I gave. My debit card, which had worked on previous trips, would not work in the majority of ATMs which I tried (and a lop of the places I spend money don't really take cards). Yes I did tell my bank in advance and eventually I did find one ATM that did work but I still prefer to have cash to cover my normal expected expenses.

Associate

Hence why I carry four different cards and also try to have backups on different ATM networks. Served me well in countries from Bolivia and Burma to Mexico and Maldives.

Monzo + Clarity second cardholder also means you have two hot spares in different places case one is lost/stolen beause getting replacement cards in Iquitos is a pain in the arse.

Carrying EUR or GBP in cash is useless outside Eurozone and, while USD is still lingua franca currency most places in the world, changing can be a ballache and I'd rather have a bank card than cash in Tibet, Greenland, CFP/CFA areas including lots of West Africa. And good luck getting som or tenge before flying out...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can't be bothered to get yet another card, when I can just get money at a Tesco or something

Get a card?

You don't need a card any more. Revolut uses virtual cards.

And if you can't be bothered to fill in a 5 minute application form yet you can be bothered about spending 5 minutes at an exchange getting ripped off

Man of Honour
That's pretty rare, especially in developed countries. Having banking glitches etc where transactions can't be processed can cause some minor damage to the economy, so banks are pretty swift to resolve those problems.

What's your contingency plan in the UK if your card decides "it's not going to work for whatever reason"? Do you keep a stash of cash at home?

We were buggered in Luxor and Gran Canaria because of cards, always get some cash now just in case.
We were lucky that the hotel in Luxor put everything on a tab until we sorted cash out 4 days later.

Back
Top Bottom