Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
How have you connected them to your PC?

USB to either mixer then balanced XLR cables from output to speaker.

It's not set up properly yet, i know the speaker position needs to be changed, i want to rearrange everything too but i just haven't had time yet. I'll also add that i'm currently at the very beginning or learning about music production, i mean, i can find my way around the basics in FL studio, but i've still got to learn a hell of a lot about manipulating sounds and adding effects, arranging samples and creating melodies etc, my biggest issue, and i guess this goes for a lot of people, is writers block, and getting sounds out of my head and onto a sample! Also, while, i can play chopsticks on the keyboard, i still have to learn all the major / minor chords yet too, and whilst coordinating my left hand playing with the right hand at the same time feels abnormal to me, i know i can get away without it working digitally, and just as well as i'm left handed, and from what i can tell, the more intricate melodies come from the right side of the keyboard. What i've found myself doing though is watching youtube videos of piano rolls of popular tracks, which are helping me to learn. I'll get there eventually.

I am currently enjoying mixing on the NVii more than anything at the moment though. However, one issue i do have is the sound quality going into my line in on my Asus ROG Strix Z370 motherboard seems to be really poor, so when i stream it sounds garbage! See example below.
Any ideas on how to make it sound better as it should sound perfect going from the booth output on my mixer into the line in on my soundcard.

Thanks

Caporegime
USB to either mixer then balanced XLR cables from output to speaker.

It's not set up properly yet, i know the speaker position needs to be changed, i want to rearrange everything too but i just haven't had time yet. I'll also add that i'm currently at the very beginning or learning about music production, i mean, i can find my way around the basics in FL studio, but i've still got to learn a hell of a lot about manipulating sounds and adding effects, arranging samples and creating melodies etc, my biggest issue, and i guess this goes for a lot of people, is writers block, and getting sounds out of my head and onto a sample! Also, while, i can play chopsticks on the keyboard, i still have to learn all the major / minor chords yet too, and whilst coordinating my left hand playing with the right hand at the same time feels abnormal to me, i know i can get away without it working digitally, and just as well as i'm left handed, and from what i can tell, the more intricate melodies come from the right side of the keyboard. What i've found myself doing though is watching youtube videos of piano rolls of popular tracks, which are helping me to learn. I'll get there eventually.

I am currently enjoying mixing on the NVii more than anything at the moment though. However, one issue i do have is the sound quality going into my line in on my Asus ROG Strix Z370 motherboard seems to be really poor, so when i stream it sounds garbage! See example below.
Any ideas on how to make it sound better as it should sound perfect going from the booth output on my mixer into the line in on my soundcard.

Thanks
Just a standard line in on the mobo?

Caporegime
Yes, i realise i probably need to get another soundcard
Tbh, that’s exactly what I was going to say. Basic line ins on mobo’s just do not cut the mustard for decent audio on that scale, they’re really just for basic mics for things like speech to text.

You really want a good USB audio interface. They’re not that expensive. You only need something like a focusrite 2in/2out. The difference is night and day.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-2nd-Gen/art-PCM0014155-000

UK site but it’s just to show you.

Soldato
Yes, i realise i probably need to get another soundcard

You really need to fix this, I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface which connects to the PC via USB and it is a lovely lovely thing.

As far as production goes, I can't play keyboards at all really but get on just fine because you can always program and adjust notes in the DAW. Unless you are writing classical music modern pop / dance / Synthwave is really quite simple. I often just look up a scale and and just noodle around on those keys until I find something that sounds good and record it. Then work out the key it is in and then look up what chords would work and take the same loop and edit the notes a bit and make variations.

The idea of writers block is not one I have, I never really think of a tune in my head first at all. I tend to pick a synth preset and then usually play around on the keyboard with it and then tweak the sound a bit and record a basic loop. Then I will apply any automation and effects.

I am looking to release an album in the next couple of months and it has been a huge steep learning curve but very satisfying writing songs you know nobody in history has ever heard before and which you actually like yourself. I write music for myself, it is a very self indulgent process sure I have influences but I just make things I like to listen to. It is a fantastic hobby, overwhelming but great.

Soldato
You really need to fix this, I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface which connects to the PC via USB and it is a lovely lovely thing.

As far as production goes, I can't play keyboards at all really but get on just fine because you can always program and adjust notes in the DAW. Unless you are writing classical music modern pop / dance / Synthwave is really quite simple. I often just look up a scale and and just noodle around on those keys until I find something that sounds good and record it. Then work out the key it is in and then look up what chords would work and take the same loop and edit the notes a bit and make variations.

The idea of writers block is not one I have, I never really think of a tune in my head first at all. I tend to pick a synth preset and then usually play around on the keyboard with it and then tweak the sound a bit and record a basic loop. Then I will apply any automation and effects.

I am looking to release an album in the next couple of months and it has been a huge steep learning curve but very satisfying writing songs you know nobody in history has ever heard before and which you actually like yourself. I write music for myself, it is a very self indulgent process sure I have influences but I just make things I like to listen to. It is a fantastic hobby, overwhelming but great.

Sounds interesting, would like to listen to some of your work. Do we have a thread in music for music production? I've joined future producers forums which seems to be a great source, but i know there are a few people who play around with music on these forums, would be good to join a thread on here.

Soldato
Sounds interesting, would like to listen to some of your work. Do we have a thread in music for music production? I've joined future producers forums which seems to be a great source, but i know there are a few people who play around with music on these forums, would be good to join a thread on here.

There is a "home studio" thread in the TV, Music and Movies section of the forums. It focuses more on a recording live guitars and drums etc. I tried to make a separate thread just for people working in DAWS only but was told to use the original thread. When the album is done I will post on here.

POB

POB

Soldato
MVIMG-20190321-122510.jpg

Galaxy Watch Active, (release day is today)

Back
Top Bottom