Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
It slices through stuff on its own weight, very well balanced, I tried and compared it to others like Yaxell (prettier) or Wusthof. The Yaxell in particular looks amazing with its Damascus edge and polished wooden handle but it felt too grip heavy.

The Knife block is magnetic, not a very big one but all I need.

I'm not really up to speed with brands as i've never really done enough complex cooking to really justify the price they cost for me, but can certainly appreciate the craftmaship of them :)

May grab that knife block at some point though!

Caporegime
I'm not really up to speed with brands as i've never really done enough complex cooking to really justify the price they cost for me, but can certainly appreciate the craftmaship of them :)

May grab that knife block at some point though!

These knives you buy once and it's pretty much for life. The one on the right is some Japanese one that I got over 15 years ago, love it. I have a couple of smaller knives for fruits and veg but they are not very good knives in the grand scheme of things, will get a nicer one at some point.

Soldato
These knives you buy once and it's pretty much for life. The one on the right is some Japanese one that I got over 15 years ago, love it. I have a couple of smaller knives for fruits and veg but they are not very good knives in the grand scheme of things, will get a nicer one at some point.

Yeah definitely believe in that philosophy, current have a 3-piece Denby set which is by no means anything like the ones you've posted about here, but they're certainly better than any knife i've used before!

When these start showing their age I expect i'll invest in something like the TOG, although i'd probably end up just looking at it and not cooking anything though :p

Caporegime
How often do you sharpen them? Do you send them away or can you use a whetstone yourself?

I already researched and got a couple of stones in my Amazon basket but they are like £90 each so waiting a few months before getting it. In a pinch you can actually use the back of a ceramic plate to sharpen the knife (wouldn't do it on expensive ones though).

Soldato
How often do you sharpen them? Do you send them away or can you use a whetstone yourself?

I have a Kanetsune Santoku knife, it's of a similar quality to the TOG and I've had it for ten years now, used both at home and in professional kitchens. I use a 600/1000 grit whetstone for a few minutes once a week, you can go much higher but it's not really necessary unless you want to shave with it.

Associate
Was only wondering because i use a fairly cheap blade myself compared to some people, forget exact price but around £50 each think they were and i need to sharpen mine a lot more than a lot of guides seem to suggest (probably 3 monthly), and thats with regular honing every few uses.
I do cook a lot though.
Didn't know whether it was worth the investment into a more expensive blade for now.

Caporegime
JLE52691.jpg

New FireTVstick :)

Soldato
It does! It can function without but I believe the performance is reduced. I didn't include the power brick as I am using a euro one. But it did come with it.
Ah, thanks for clarification.

I was hoping that they had somehow reduced its power needs.

Soldato
I already researched and got a couple of stones in my Amazon basket but they are like £90 each so waiting a few months before getting it. In a pinch you can actually use the back of a ceramic plate to sharpen the knife (wouldn't do it on expensive ones though).

You don't need to spend that much on stones. As long as its a decent size then it'll put a razor edge on your knife with the right technique. I have a 1000/4000g and a 6000/8000g and have had them years and they were nowhere near £90 each.

Also get a strip of leather and glue it to a block of hardwood and some ultra fine abrasive compound and strop the knife after sharpening and you'll be able to shave with it.

All I have bought recently is this turbo brush and a new third party hepa filter for my Miele vac as it was struggling to pick up dust from my rugs without an active twirly brush thing.

Is it supposed to sound like a jet engine taking off? :eek: There are no instructions apart from how to clean it, and I feel like full power (2200w) is way too much as it is so loud. Anyone got one?

cyUs5wL.jpg.png

Soldato
I may be an idiot, but I just can’t get to grips with sharpening knives. I have a steel and a stone but don’t think I’m using them right and I just can’t find a good YouTube video...
Anyone got some tips?

Caporegime
I may be an idiot, but I just can’t get to grips with sharpening knives. I have a steel and a stone but don’t think I’m using them right and I just can’t find a good YouTube video...
Anyone got some tips?

Not sure how you can go wrong in all honesty? How are you doing it?

Just slide backwards and in reverse, so, chop in reverse :p try that for a laugh

Soldato
Anyone got some tips?

I'll have a look on Youtube tomorrow to see if I can find a good video as I'm rubbish at explaining things. It's mainly about finding the right angle and keeping it at that angle without rocking the blade about. Once you practise you develop the muscle memory and you just naturally hold the blade at the right angle without having to think about it. Then work your way up the grits, depending on how sharp you want it. The final process is to strop the blade and that will polish it up to a razor edge. You can then use the steel and strop inbetween sharpening to keep the razor edge.

Miele might have adjustable power, it will be extreme on the highest setting but you should be able to halve that afaik. I guess filter, attachments might alter sound too

Thanks, yeah mine has 6 power levels, but I just wondered if you can actually use it at the highest as it spins the brush so fast :eek:. I'll do a bit of testing tomorrow.

I also need to fix the extension wand as it just retracts as soon as you push it forward.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Finished it yet? I saw online someone had done a time lapse of the construction, was pretty cool to see it get pieced together.
Must be joking. It's going to sit in the loft forever as I neither have the time to build nor the space to display, just like the rest of those boxes.
I've got about 8 big Technic & Creator sets sitting in various states of disrepair around the flat since we moved 2 years ago :p

Back
Top Bottom