In-between ISP's - How viable is 4g as a "get by" for a few months?

Soldato
So, I tried to "bluff" Virgin by saying "Please cancel all my services" in the hope they call me and offer something better (They usually do) but ultimately, they have called my bluff with 5 days to go and no call.

Soo... You need to be disconnected for about 3 or 4 months before you can become a "New" customer. I did know they might call my bluff and truth be told, was time to "Trim the fat" of the services I no longer wanted.

My current setup is:

Virgin SH> Pf Sense appliance> Switch> WAP x2

There are 4 desktops and various "smart" devices in the house.

So, in the interim I have thought of picking up a 4g router and going for an "unlimited" data bundle, about £20/25 a month.

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited - (THREE Network) - Coverage is good in my area

Do the networks do anything to actively prevent such use? I assume they see the data is only being consumed by a single device? In this case, my router so only 1 IP address in use. Do they still get flagged?

Many thanks for any help.

Soldato
OP
Seems a lot to go through just to save a couple of quid a month.

As for 4G its generally crap for gaming and streaming, but if you just want to browse the internet its fine.

But its all to do with the signal in your area and how many people are connected /downloading in your area at that time.

Could you just not switch to another provider, e.g Sky?

I am cancelling other services so saving quiet a bit.

They offered me over the odds for broadband only so screw them. The "new customer" deals are pretty good and can also get a rollling 30 day contract which for the time being, is preferred.

Currently using the 400Mbps service (Average about 350-370 in real world) and switching provider would yield much lower speeds.

Would rather the money is in my account than theirs :D

Soldato
OP
Technically within 30 days you are an existing customer and don’t require a credit check, beyond that it gets slightly murky, every sales person has signed a contract stating they check the address for previous accounts/debt etc. realistically I can only think of one example in literally thousands of accounts where this was done. Sales are commission based, they just want to key an order, that said retentions could reconnect your TV/Broadband in under 60 seconds if you asked.... Phone line is 2-24hrs as COSAR needs updating for the 999 database.

So if I go back in 4 months, I assume they will go through credit reference agencies then?

From what you are saying, I could try after a week on a Friday afternoon and hope I get through to someone needing a sale?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In answer to my question in the thread title...

8989587933.png

Sure ping is a little higher than I would like but those speeds are better than some get on fiber.

Download does drop to around 50Mbps in the evenings but nothing to be disappointed by as a "get me by".

Using a TP-Link MR600 which has its own issues BUT, with a little tinkering, seems to be doing the job. My biggest gripe is lack of Bridging mode.

Soldato
OP
Update:
Three were being garbage in my area, online checker shows some problem since December but no ETA on fix. Data service is intermittent even though you still have an IP address. Is just for a second here and there but it plays havoc with SSL sites.

Fair play to Smarty, they gave me a refund, no questions asked.

I switched to VOXI (Vodafone) and although speed is lower, service is rock solid but £30 a month compared to the £20 for SMARTY (Three).

Made an order online with Virgin Media at the discounted rate.

£37 a month for 12 months is fine. £59 a month for the same service is not.

Will see if they cancel the order. It is in the wifes name so maybe they will just see it as someone new moving in but obviously, the credit check info states "lived here longer than 3 years" so depends how diligent they are I guess.

Back
Top Bottom