In-car MP3 solution for my Civic (2001)

Soldato
Hi all,

I picked up my new 2001 Honda Civic last night, and I'm keen to fit an MP3 player of some sort as my audio solution.

I don't want an FM transmitter or one of those tape adaptor things, i'd rather an MP3 player mounted in my glove box, and a connection to the back of the headunit, although I have no idea whether the connections on the back of the head unit will make this possible or not, can anyone advise please?

thank you.

Associate
How about a headunit that plays SD cards, can get 8gb SD cards. I have been looking for one though not many places sell them apart from ebay and none seem to be from good makes.

Has anyone got an headunit that plays SD cards that they recommend?

Soldato
OP
i'd like to keep the standard one I think as it is one of those that looks slick as it s built into the dash, so I was asking if anyone knew of what the connections are on the back of a Civic Standard HU or if anyone knew how to take it out even!

Soldato
Have a look at the connects2 interfaces, these can plug into most cd changer capable headunits and give you ipod control or just plain Aux in leads.
TBH if they don't do one for your car you are down to replacing headunit, FM transmitter or tape adapter.

Associate
Not sure about the inputs on the original HU but I helped a mate swap the original for an aftermarket one and it's not a nice job - the gearnob and gaiter need removing and you need to prise the fascia off (being careful with the thin bit round the bottom of the gearnob, it's very easy to snap. Then there's various bolts to take out etc, none of which are easy to reach. You'll understand when you try :p

You'd have to go through this process to get to the back of the stereo I reckon - I'd just go the whole way and swap it out!

Soldato
As had been said, it won't be easy. The pollen filter is behind the glove box so that may get in the way. I don't think that any of the 3 types of head units that they fit in the Civic have an AUX input, so you would need a new unit and a double din adaptor, or one that keeps the handy cubby under the radio. The mid range unit they fit does play plain silver disks so I just copy CDs for the car as I'm not in it for more than 70 min. normally anyway

Soldato
leonarmston said:
How about a headunit that plays SD cards, can get 8gb SD cards. I have been looking for one though not many places sell them apart from ebay and none seem to be from good makes.

Has anyone got an headunit that plays SD cards that they recommend?
I use one of these, it is great. I use a 2gb card myself, and is made by silvercrest. I use to pre-outs, and the sound quality seems good. :cool:

Soldato
There are stereo's that connect to your mp3 player via USB, you choose the track on the stereo itself. mp3 player can remain out of the way.

You'll need a Microsoft "Plays For Sure" compatible mp3 player. If you don't have this check for a firmware upgrade that will add the capability.

FIAT offer a similar system as an extra, it's called "Blue and Me". It's tied in with the steering wheel controls, vioce activation, and a lal' screen between the speedo and rev. counter.

On the other hand, I use an FM transmitter, it's very good, but that's because I got a nice posh digital one, with 3 memory frequencies, which are also the 1st 3 pre-sets on FM3 on my stereo.

It's made by "Kensington".

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yurg said:
I'd just go the whole way and swap it out!

Cheers for the replies but thats what I want to avoid.

The standard head unit is a cassette so I need some way of inputting MP3s but I don't want to change the HU as its built in and perfectly contoured/colour matched for the dash, and think a non standard HU would look unsightly.

I contacted a firm called ICD who revealed they had a device which connects to the CD Changer port on the back of my HU which can provide me with 2 x phono inputs for an MP3 player etc, but this obviously wouldn't allow me to perform intelligent actions such as changing tracks etc.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
stokefan said:
I dont have an iPod no, I plan to buy some sort of Mp3 player exactly for my new car!

Wow! thanks for that link, I searched ebay but never found anything like that! The only bit I dont know is how to connect the iPod to that circular looking connection on the device pictured labelled "Auxilliary Input"....

if you have a look closely, just above where it says AUX IN, there is small hole, it looks like a 3.5mm jack, so you can get a cable from your mp3 player that goes into a 3.5mm jack

not sure about it controlling your mp3 player though

i suspect it will fully control an ipod though.

Back
Top Bottom