Increasing the font size in Windows 10

The only option I can see in display settings is under 'scale and layout', where you can increase the font size and UI scale. However, it blows up the images too which I don't want. I want to increase the font size and keep image size the same. You could do this in previous Windows versions by changing font sizes of menus, toolbars, icon text, dialogue boxes and so on, then UI scale (known as 'DPI') was a separate setting altogether. This worked all the way up to as recent as Windows 8.1. Anyone got any ideas? It seems that Microsoft are dumbing down on their OS more than ever! As an Android user and Windows user since 3.1, I want to be able to change my settings.

Man of Honour
You can still get to the old control panel UI to change individual style elements but I'm not at a Windows 10 machine at the moment.

EDIT: Quick google suggests those options are only changeable via registry editing now but I'm sure I found a way to get to the old appearance dialog.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Settings -> Ease of Access -> Display and the first option is "Make text bigger".

Thanks fellas. I'm partially sighted and both of these answers worked for me :)

@yashiro - your answer was geared towards desktop apps and the Win Aero Tweaker allowed me change individual font sizes on desktop apps like on previous Windows version. Just log out and back in to see the changes.

@Orcvader - your answer was geared towards the mobile apps, which makes up an increasingly bigger proportion of Windows in Windows 10 than in previous version, even Windows 8! E.g. File Explorer, settings, start menu, Spotify, pretty much everything to do with the backbone of the OS are mobile app-based, so your answer worked on these elements.

Associate

thanks for this. I've probably wasted a couple of hours on this today, trying to set desktop/app fonts (should have searched the forum). I tried the display options in windows 10 (make text bigger/make everything bigger and they're 'ok', but don't seem right, so i'll give win aero a go later.

why couldn't they just leave things as they were for those settings, like in earlier versions?: https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/windows-7-changing-fonts

Associate
I'd downloaded Winaero Tweaker but hadn't experimented with it until now, my mistake :rolleyes: solves the font size issue straight away (Advanced appearance settings -> Icons)

@yashiro - Thanks again ;)

Back
Top Bottom