Induction Hobs

Soldato
Who has one and how do you find it?
I've used electric (hated them) and gas (love them) hobs before, but never tried induction.

I'm shortly going to be moving into a new place that has an induction hob so wanted to get feedback from those who have used them.
Most of my pans are magnetic, so they should all be fine. The few that aren't could do with being replaced anyway.

I'm currently wondering how to do things like stir frys that involve the use of a wok though?

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies. I moved in last weekend, but so far have been living off microwave meals and frozen pizza while I get sorted so haven't used the hob yet.
I have stuck a pan on it and it gets hot pretty quickly though.

Hopefully should be doing some proper cooking on it this week, so will see how it goes.

Soldato
OP
So, I've had a few weeks using my induction hob now and I thought I'd give my thoughts for anyone that may be considering getting one.

Things I like.

The lack of flames. This makes it easier not to burn things! With gas I'd often leave a wooden spoon in a pan on full heat and come back to find it's charred from the flame :o

It seems pretty responsive, turned a pan down from full to low and almost immediately the rolling boil turned to a simmer.

Much easier to clean than a gas hob as it's just one big flat surface.

Things I don't like.

The main one for me is how the heat is applied. You basically get a circle of heat and then not much else. This means that things catch much easier than when using gas.
It also means that large dishes only have heat applied to a part of the base, again I find gas much better in this regard as the flame envelops the pan more.
I was caramelising some onions today in a large oval Le Creuset which is bigger than the induction surface. (I do it in big batches and then freeze portions) and found if I wasn't keeping an eye on it the whole time I'd get a circle on the bottom of the pan where things caught a bit.

The controls. This may just be my model, but to change a heat setting I have to press a button to select which induction plate I want, then use + and - buttons to select the heat level. I much prefer several simple knobs to control things.

The lack of flames. Even though it's handy not having flames for the reasons I mentioned above there's something in the fact that you can see the size of the flame that I prefer. I really dislike not having any visual cue about how much heat is being applied.

I was planning on redoing the kitchen at some point in the next year or two anyway and I definitely think I'm going to go back to a gas hob then. I definitely prefer induction to electric, but for me gas can't be beaten.

Back
Top Bottom