Information from a very old hard-drive!

Associate
Hi, I have been given an old hard drive from which I thought I could extract the data. Neither my pc or laptop are registering the HD from its SATA /USB link. I thought it might be that the drivers needed updating but I cannot find any recent updates on Toshiba support or any other site. Not surprising I suppose as the HD is circa 2006! Any of you guys have a brilliant solution that I might try?

Associate
OP
The hard drive is as it was when it was removed from the pc - I have just plugged in the SATA / USB connection in and then into the pc

Don
The hard drive is as it was when it was removed from the pc - I have just plugged in the SATA / USB connection in and then into the pc

Where does the USB part come into it?

Connect it directly to a PC motherboard with a standard SATA cable and see if it's recognised. Being as old as it is, it's likely to be a Sata 1.0 (150MB/s) or Sata 2.0 (300MB/s), and cheap USB adapters may not properly negotiate correctly with older standards.

Associate
If it's a 3.5" HDD, you need to have an external power connection to the adapter since they require more power then what is provided by a USB port.

If the adapter has no method to provide extra power, then you'll have to either obtain an adapter that does or like others have said here connect it directly to the PC and if it's still not detected then the drive is dead and you'll have to go to a data recovery company if you want to attempt to recover the data from the drive.

Associate
OP
demonix, sorry for the delay in responding - away for a few days, Its a 3.5 - can you recommend an appropriate adaptor?

Associate
I have an old 250gb toshiba external drive which i thought was dead, turns out i just needed to try another mini USB cable and make sure it sat at a slight angle. Worked in the end, but dunno if that helps you at all :p

Associate
You’ll need as others say a much better power supply to get had spinning up. Older hdd’s can typically draw 2 amps on spin up IIRC … which is more than the average USB port can supply.

Although, thinking about it, if you have a fast modern mobile charger, you could maybe plug the usb section of the cable into that … might give it enough juice … but its a bit of a long shot.

Don
You’ll need as others say a much better power supply to get had spinning up. Older hdd’s can typically draw 2 amps on spin up IIRC … which is more than the average USB port can supply.

Although, thinking about it, if you have a fast modern mobile charger, you could maybe plug the usb section of the cable into that … might give it enough juice … but its a bit of a long shot.
It's irrelevant how many amps. Usb and the cheap converters cannot not provide the 12volts needed by 3.5" drives

Back
Top Bottom