Infrared - Does my camera support it?

Associate
Ok..

While I'm awaiting my new camera, I thought i'd have a play and see if my current cameras support Infrared photography.

So without even taking a photo I just shoved a remote control infront of them and pressed a button. Both my Fuji e550 and Fuji S602 showed the white flash from the sensor (which I can't see by eye obv).

I took a photo with each and the flash of the sensor can be seen no problem.

Would this suggest that they are infrared compatible? should I invest in one of those "Hoya 58mm R72 Infrared Glass Filter" from a well know auction site?

They only appear to cost about £20inc?

Cheers people

Chris

Associate
I you see the output from an RC in the image, then yes, your camera is IR sensitive and will take IR shots with the Hoya R72. Got on a short while ago and am still mastering getting good shots with it. If you take the plunge, let mek now and I'll share my experiences. Quick question though; doesn't the S602 lens adapter take a 55mm threaded filter and the e550 a 43mm thread?

From my limited play so far, one of my faves. Straight from the camera and llttle PP, just a tiny adjustment of levels and a resize.

ir.jpg

Associate
OP
Bah, all my cameras are different sizes!! I'll wait to see if my fz30 supports IR, as that's the better camera so might as well get a filter for that one.

If I have any luck I'll keep you posted :D

Associate
I've found that while my fuji s5000 can take IR shots with an R72 filter, It has no manual white balance setting so there are still limitations, this is the best I can manage at the moment

snezhanka.jpg

Back
Top Bottom