Input on New Build

Associate
Hello Folks!

The last couple of years I've been enjoying a quiet home office, I gave my last rig to my son and have been using my work laptop and MacBook Pro and have enjoyed the silence. It's time for a new rig though, and although I've been building for over 20 years there are so many options available I'd welcome some input on the components. I'm hoping to tweak fan profiles and get this one as quiet as possible. I've no idea what GPU is best, if performance is similar I'd welcome one with less power consumption. I'm almost 40 and over RGB. Looking to stick to a budget of around ~£1,500.

Use Cases
Gaming:
Microsoft Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5, GTA 5 (And 6 when it comes out!), Etc.
Production: 4K Video editing with Davinci Resolve
Display: LG 38WN95C 3840 x 1600 @ 144Hz

Components
PSU:
Be Quiet! Pure Power 850W Fully Mod
Mobo: ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5-6000
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB
GPU: RTX4070 or 7800XT (Undecided, thoughts?)
Case: No idea yet. Prefer one without fans and good for noise.
Case Fans: Noctua A12x25

Thoughts?

Looking to stick to a budget of around ~£1,500.
Edit: accidentally included 2x memory kits.

Suggested build:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,494.89 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I made some changes, mainly because they're cheaper.

Do you already own the Noctua cooler?

If you don't, I'd suggest:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £73.93 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Gaming: Microsoft Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5, GTA 5 (And 6 when it comes out!), Etc.

Display: LG 38WN95C 3840 x 1600 @ 144Hz
Those games are kind of old, so should be alight, but I'd be aware that a 4070 isn't super powerful for playing games close to a resolution @ 4K.

Last edited:
A 4070 super is a better idea although its only on average 15% faster than a standard 4070. A ti super would be better (approx 32% faster) although it blows your budget away at £770 on its own!
The 4080 and 4080 super are such bad value and totally wreck your budget.

Da Vinci resolve likes cuda as well.

Thanks for the reply.

What card would you recommend as a better option for the Ultrawide?
For your budget? Nothing, because there's no room left. The 4070 will be fine in older games like GTA V and in newer games you can use DLSS.

If you had a bigger budget, then I'd move up a tier to a 4070 Ti Super, though as mentioned the value diminishes on higher tier cards and they will eat your budget.

Worth a watch:

case without fans so you can choose your own. Corsair 4000D airflow is a nice case..can be had for £80 at mo in white with free delivery (£95 at ocuk which is too much). the lian li 216 is a great case though that can have a 360mm aio in the roof if you go that way in the future. the 4000 series is a little more compact so 240 only in roof. if you want bigger the 5000d airflow seen for £129...but plenty of other cassers without fans..phanteks nv5 mkII for £90..nzxt h6 flow another..depends on style also..most cases are quiet if you set fan curves etc

Alternative case with no rgb. You will have to add fans to it as it only comes with 1 120mm included. I have just built a pc in one and it s a nice case for the money.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £55.00 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Add some arctic fans on the front. 3* 140mm or 3*120mm

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £38.95 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Great case fans.

Thank you all for the replies, this has been really helpful. I've gone a little over budget and having watched a ton of videos opted for a GT502 case and the RGB (I know...) with white fans.
  • Any compatibility issues with the below? I believe I can daisy chain the RGB and connect to the motherboard.
  • Is the Kingston Fury worth £15 more than the Corsair Vengeance?
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,559.78 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

A couple of changes

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £439.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I know the ram doesnt say ti has EXPO but it does as I have just used a set and it has 2 expo settings that work perfectly.
The peerless is just a better cooler.
011 dynamic... why spend so much on a copy?

Is the Kingston Fury worth £15 more than the Corsair Vengeance?
I made a mistake in my build and meant to delete it, because the Corsair kit is the same spec and cheaper.

Any compatibility issues with the below?
Looks fine, you might want to look at the new Antec cases like the C3 and C5, they come in white and I believe include all the fans you'll need.

just be aware with Tuf case, and the lian li evo of the bar that comes down the corner where the 2 glass panels meet. As a 'fishtank' case as they say, it's a bit annoying and the newer cases get rid of it (don't get me wrong, the evo is still a fantastic case but if buying now I'd get it without bar..which didn't exist when i bought)...and I'm speaking as a 011d evo owner. @dfour above has put the vision case above which does without it but it also has a glass roof with reduces where you can put fans etc, though a 7800x3d doesn't throw too much heat of it so not really an issue
There is a newer evo case which I'll put below
..other note to remember is that the dual chamber cases are wide so take up a fair amount of space on the desk..why i put the nv5 case in etc, and the flow is angled so although it gets wider, doesn't look it so much but you still need the desk width for it. again, I'll link as then you can see..there's also the corsair 3500X range, though i know nothing of the quality as haven't seen any reviews..I'd miss the 6500x range..the evo cases are just better so don't bother with them
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,137.41 (includes delivery: £466.66)​

Back
Top Bottom