Inside Out 2 - Pixar - 14 June 2024

Soldato
Hi all,

This one seems to have almost snuck out without a huge amount of PR around it that I've seen but it's box office has been amazing for Pixar, who really needed a win after so many recent flops, with it hitting almost $300m in a just a few days. It came out a few days ago and from everything I'm seeing (even from the usual 'I hate Disney' folks) it looks like its a really good film!

The little voices inside Riley’s head know her inside and out—but next summer, everything changes when Disney and Pixar’s “Inside Out 2” introduces a new Emotion: Anxiety. According to director Kelsey Mann, the new character promises to stir things up within headquarters. “Anxiety, voiced by Maya Hawke, might be new to the crew, but she’s not really the type to take a back seat,” said Mann. “That makes a lot of sense if you think about it in terms of what goes on inside all our minds.”

Disney and Pixar’s “Inside Out 2” returns to the mind of newly minted teenager Riley just as headquarters is undergoing a sudden demolition to make room for something entirely unexpected: new Emotions! Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust, who’ve long been running a successful operation by all accounts, aren’t sure how to feel when Anxiety shows up. And it looks like she’s not alone. Maya Hawke lends her voice to Anxiety, alongside Amy Poehler as Joy, Phyllis Smith as Sadness, Lewis Black as Anger, Tony Hale as Fear, and Liza Lapira as Disgust."

**************************************************************************************

Reviews -

The Guardian - 4/5 - "What’s new is the subtle message that tribalism is toxic. And it’s subtle because the girls Riley wants to impress are nice.......The pressure to belong to a winning team leads to a panic-attack sequence as moving, and visually inventive, as anything in those impeccable Pixar spin-offs Toy Story 2 and 3."

Forbes - "it’s a beautifully crafted film that’s equal parts hilarious and moving. Pixar is at the top of its storytelling and animation game, and I can’t recommend this highly enough."

The New York Times - "[it's] a wistful conceptual dazzler about a girl that is also a testament to one of the pleasures of movies: the engagement of our emotions."

Empire - 4/5 - "Through this decade so far, Pixar’s films have held great ideas that haven’t quite reached their full potential. This is probably its best film since Coco, and best sequel since Toy Story 3."

BBC - 4/5 - "Inside Out 2 glimmers with diamond-hard truths about the complex business of being a human being – especially a teenage human being – but it's still a fast-paced and playful comedy adventure with even more jokes and more puns than Inside Out."

Telegraph - 4/5 - "It may be some time in the Hollywood animation world since Pixar was the only show in town. But on form, they remain a vital one."

Daily Mail - 4/5 - "while it can’t hope to recapture the novelty factor of the first Inside Out (indeed, the plot is basically the same, although Riley was only 11 at the start of the original), it’s otherwise even funnier, cleverer and more awesomely inventive, if not (thankfully) as emotionally devastating."

Animated movies seem to be one of the few things released in the cinema that is almost guaranteed to make money at the moment.

Unless you're Pixar, who have had a torrid time over the past few years with flop after flop (Soul, Lightyear, Turning Red) at the box office (mostly for COVID/Streaming reasons) which is why its good to see this do so well.

I heard it isn’t that good.

It's getting both great critic reviews (always debatable how worthless that is any more TBH) and also high audience reviews too (91% & 96% respectively) and, from what I've seen online, no-one really seems to have any great problem with it. Obvious its not universal, and some folks won't like it, but they seem to be in the tiniest minority so far.

I help out at a local 50-seat cinema for military members/families so I'll be acting as projectionist for this at some point as we've just bought it and I'm interested in watching it even though its nothing like my usual film choices.

Last edited:
Oh wow, in 7 days this has made about $500m at the global Box Office and its looking like it'll probably hit $750m at this rate!

Pah, what do I know,...............its already smashed $760m just 5 days later. I honestly think this might the first $1 billion film since Barbie and Super Mario Bros last year!

As we've been saying for quite a while - If you do "woke" well then people don't react so negatively and you can have a box office success, and Inside Out 2 is yet another good example because it does include themes of Diversity and Inclusion etc but they're done in a really organic, non "in your face, agree with me or else bigot" way which virtually everyone is starting to really appreciate nowadays, hence the high critic AND audience scores and huge box office.

It also helps that no-one from the cast or studio is lining up to attack fans etc. :D

You'd hope that Disney (and other studios) might look at the success if this and at long last realise "if we do it right, with a great cast, a great story, a great script etc, then 'woke' can be successful" but I just don't think there's enough introspection to realise this so I'm still left treating each release as its own entity which needs to prove itself first.

Last edited:
On monday

It's a strong shout but with the Quiet Place film out and it being the 3rd weekend, I reckon it's weekend domestic BO will drop by about 1/2, so it'll still definitely hit over $1billion but probably not until the end of next weekend at a guess (about the 9th July) unless they get a spectacular International BO return this weekend.

Looks likely to pass $1.5 Billion this weekend!

Despicable Me 4 is slowing down and may not hit $1 Billion, maybe hits $800m once it dies off at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom