Instagram 'influencers' selling courses in personal finance and investing

Soldato
Lately i've been saying posts about signing up for courses in things like investing in the stock market or how to manage your personal finance and avoid debt, budgets ect.
For the stock market stuff isn't that information free to find on the interwebs? I don't know the price this person charges but they advertise it every few months and seemingly have enough people sign up to make it a goer.

The latter is confusing to me (pic below), its £50 if you sign up early or £90 after. You pay money for a course that tells you how to manage your money? lolwut.

Seems kinda shady. What does GD think?

Shady, but the amount of sensible people I know who cannot manage their own finances on the most basic level is worrying, guess this is tapping into that

It’s all shady but you’re only seeing a small part of a huge industry of leachers that sell courses to gullible punters. The most amusing one I’ve seen was ‘trading with Danny’, a little bloke from Liverpool sat in a rented Lamborghini showing people what forex to trade for X per month.

Just today I’ve seen multiple ads selling courses for ‘getting high ticket clients for your consultancy business with my new AI system’ along with the usual Greta Van Reil ‘buy my course and build a multi-million dollar Amazon business’.

It’s sad but folk buy into it.

Last edited:
Seems kinda shady. What does GD think?

Shady how? They are just selling their advice about personal finance. I don't think this is illegal. However, giving financial advice about making investments can be illegal. Personally I don't pay for anyone's advice, particularly financial, and why would you, as everything is available on the internet if you look hard enough.

Shady how? They are just selling their advice about personal finance. I don't think this is illegal. However, giving financial advice about making investments can be illegal. Personally I don't pay for anyone's advice, particularly financial, and why would you, as everything is available on the internet if you look hard enough.
Maybe shady isn't the right word. I just find it bizarre that anyone would pay for the either course.

Maybe shady isn't the right word. I just find it bizarre that anyone would pay for the either course.

Making online courses or ebooks is highly profitable, so that's why people try it. Many are legal, I don't see a problem with this one. However, some courses where you are paying for investment advice or being encouraged to make investments can easily cross the line into scams. Moral of the story, if something sounds too good to be true it is, do your own research, make your own decisions.

Making online courses or ebooks is highly profitable, so that's why people try it. Many are legal, I don't see a problem with this one. However, some courses where you are paying for investment advice or being encouraged to make investments can easily cross the line into scams. Moral of the story, if something sounds too good to be true it is, do your own research, make your own decisions.
I mean i'm not adverse to online courses. I've done a few udemy courses on coding/data analysis.

Have you looked at the content of the second course? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom