• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Installing an Nvidia GTX295

Associate
Hello my friends i am a new on this field since a have a loooong looong time to purchase and build up my one pc. So i would need some help. I bought the following parts:

Gainward GeForce GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C8 (2000MHz) Tri-Channel
Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem
Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Corsair H50 High-Performance CPU Watercooler

My queston is do i need to conect both 6 pin and 8 pin on the graphic card? there is only the 6 pin on the psu. what do i have to do ?

Soldato
Yes both connectors need to be fitted, I think you can get 6pin to 8pin adapters to convert your 6 pin PCIE.

There are also 8pin to 2 molex adapters as well.

::Edit::

You need one of these:

bb01_1_b.JPG

Or a new PSU!

Associate
According to the manual:
Corsair Cable Configuration
• 1 x 610mm (24”) 24-pin ATX power connector cable.
Note: The ATX power connector has a detachable 4-pin mechanism in order
to support either a 24-pin or a 20-pin socket on the motherboard.
• 1 x 610mm (24”) 8-pin EPS12V connector cable.
Note: The EPS12V power connector has a detachable 4-pin mechanism
in order to support either an 8-pin socket or a 4-pin “P4/12V” socket on
the motherboard.
• For TX650W: 2 x 610mm (24”) 6+2-pin PCI-E connector cable.
• For TX750W: 4 x 610mm (24”) 6+2-pin PCI-E connector cable.
• 2 x 864mm (34”) SATA connector cable with four SATA connector heads.
• 2 x 1016mm (40”) 4-pin peripheral power connector cable with four connector
heads and one small 4-pin for floppy drive.

Should be on there already - check the box. I expect they will be four pin molex [ie like what the HDD uses] to PCI-E 6/8 pin cables, and yes, you will need both.

Associate
Check the manual to make sure it matches up with what I posted above, in case you have got that rumoured earlier version with one PCI-E plug.

Otherwise they aught to be there.

Associate
Does the manual state that it has two, like the section I quoted from the manufacturers PDF, or does the manual you have state otherwise?

If the manual says there are two, and you only have one, then I'd contact OCUK and get it swapped out, if you are sure there isn't a secondary PCI-E cable. If it doesn't have what it says it has, it's not fit for purpose and getting it exchanged should be a formality.

Associate
OP
i've taken oute the psu and i found the second one.. so now i can connect the 6+2 pin to the second or i will need the adaptor ?

Associate
Have you even read the instruction manual for any of these items?

The 295 datasheet says:
Minimum 680W system power supply with
both one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express
supplementary power connectors

So i assume it has one of each. The Quick Start guide should be more enlightening; I can't find the full manual for the 295 online at the moment, if in doubt, there should be documentation on the driver CD that comes with it that will be more helpful than my educated guesses!

Associate
OP
i've red all the manual my friend and i can say that they are not that helpfull. and before purchasing the items i'v red about them. Anyway the original manual it says that the PSU must be at least 450w.

Associate
OP
ok i have inserd the cd and i found the manual. it says the same thing i've red on the manual book:

INSTALLING YOUR NEW GAINWARD DISPLAY ADAPTER
If you are installing a Gainward display adapter with an extra power connector, please make
sure that your PC meets the following hardware requirements:
• Your PC must have a power supply unit (PSU) of at least 450 W (please reference the
information on the packaging material of your products for more detail).
• A PCI Express compliant motherboard is required. Some PCI Express motherboards violate
specifications and therefore the display adapter may not physically fit.
• A vacant slot adjacent to the PCI Express x16 slot may be required. This product series may
occupy two slots in your PC.
• A 6-pin PCI Express power connector or two available hard disk drive power connectors are
required (the floppy disk connector is not sufficient). Gainward includes a complementary power
cable to connect the display adapter card with your PC’s power supply

Back
Top Bottom