Installing windows vista help

Associate
Hi Folks,

I currently have a copy of windows vista home premium oem on my gaming pc. I am building a HTPC and have all my components now but I am just waiting for my second copy of vista HP which should be here tomorrow. What I want to do is install windows and get my HTPC up and running tonight but not type in the serial key (as that key belongs to my gaming PC) and when my second copy turns up I can just type that key in and activate my media centre.

Can I do this or do I have to install windows off the dvd that comes with the key? Also, if I can do this is there any drawback to installing all my media centre software etc on a pc that has not yet been activated?

My last question is my second copy of Vista comes with an upgrade voucher for windows 7. Would I be able to use this voucher on my gaming PC or would have to be somehow linked to the copy of windows it came with?

Hopefully that's all clear!

Thanks

Matt

Associate
OP
Thanks, that's good to know.

The only thing I was thinking of was the type of vista dvd. They are both home premium oem however do later ones come with service packs/ updates on etc but the key I already have is for an older version without service packs.

Back
Top Bottom