Insufficient USB bandwidth

Caporegime
The past week or so, every time i try and connect to the internet i get a warning message appearing saying that i have insufficient USB bandwidth, and that i should close all programs, take out all other USB devices and plug the modem back in.

The only USB devices that are plugged into my pc are the printer and my broadband modem. I can resolve the issue by restarting the pc 3 or more times in a row and then it seems to be fine, but after a wihle it disconnects agian.

Has anybody ever had this type of warning and does any body know what the cause of it could be?

Azza

Caporegime
OP
ive got 1mb tiscal, but when i look at its status it says that its at 2.3Mbps.

SiSoft Sandra says that it is USB1.0, it also says thatt he speed is at full(12mbps)

Soldato
tolien said:
Best suggestion's get shot of the crappy USB modem.

i just knew someone would post that. why? it's probably just a configuration problem that can easily be sorted out. i've been on broadband for about 3 years now with the same usb bt voyager modem and it hasn't missed a beat. it's worked fine on loads of pcs

p2 233 intel chipset of somesort (connection used to crap out when burning cds but that was a cpu problem i think :p)
xp2600, sis chipset
xp2500, nforce2 chipset
and now an intel 875p chipset

Caporegime
marc2003 said:
i just knew someone would post that. why?

Because USB modems are riddled with these issues (including reduced throughput with Max), and ethernet isn't?
Fix the bandwidth issue too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont have any usb devices at the moment but im sure you can reserve bandwibth I have looked and maybe something along the lines of;

usb.JPG

Soldato
tolien said:
(including reduced throughput with Max)

ok fair enough. that's something i may have to look into myself. i wasn't aware of that. :)

but the OP has just 1mb download/synced at 2mb at the mo. i'm sure it will work if setup correctly.

Caporegime
marc2003 said:
but the OP has just 1mb download/synced at 2mb at the mo. i'm sure it will work if setup correctly.

Possibly, but USB modems are the source of a hell of a lot of hassle - it's quite often easier (and not fantastically expensive) just to replace it with an ethernet device (mostly a router).

Shoving the modem on a port that has a separate controller to your other kit might fix it.

Back
Top Bottom